East coast bottom fishers- descending device?

FINCHASER

Finchaser.... Check out this link from Oregon DFW.  I came across it when after reading about the new FL regulations and searching for the tool.  It is a DIY device using the plastic fish lip gripper pliers.  It relies on the anglers decision on release depth instead of the automated ones that are $60, but seems like a workable option.  I have not tried it myself, but planning to.

https://myodfw.com/articles/make-your-own-descending-device

CB

3 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Finchaser !!  Can you compose a new post in the general section that will get Atlantic-side bottom fishermen's attention and repost this discussion.

I (We) appreciate you notifying us of this significant change.  I was not aware of it either and you will be helping the Members greatly !!

Thank you very much !

Mod Marc

1 hour ago, Moderator said:

Finchaser !!  Can you compose a new post in the general section that will get Atlantic-side bottom fishermen's attention and repost this discussion.

I (We) appreciate you notifying us of this significant change.  I was not aware of it either and you will be helping the Members greatly !!

Thank you very much !

Mod Marc

Sure.

38 minutes ago, jensenjeff said:

So if I'm snapper fishing in 30" of water, I'll need one? BTW I'm south of 28 deg. lat.

Yes, unless you’re talking Mangrove Snapper.

“Recreational anglers and divers fishing from a private boat anywhere in Florida who intend to harvest, attempt to harvest or possess one or more of the following reef fish species:”

mutton snapper (new)

yellowtail snapper (new)

hogfish (new)

red snapper

vermilion snapper

gag grouper

red grouper

black grouper

greater amberjack

lesser amberjack

banded rudderfish

almaco jack

gray triggerfish

27 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

Where do you catch snapper in 30” of water ?  I want to go there....we have to go 25 miles offshore here to catch any. 

South Florida... Mangrove Snapper, they’re  not on the list though. 

• Like 1