Anyone done a fuel fill hose replacement on a 2200V?

q0rban

I've got a 2000 2200v and every time I go to fill up, I have a strong gas smell in the bilge. It's starting to make me nervous, and I suspect the fill line needs to be replaced. Has anyone done this job before and know how hard of a job it is? (I searched and didn't see any posts on it on here)

On a previous boat when I did this, the fill hose was foamed in and impossible to remove (without cutting into the cap). Hoping PF had the foresight to know that it would need to be replaced at some point and not make it impossible to do so.

Yesterday, I replaced the fuel level sender in my 2001 22v.  The sender was very badly corroded and the gasket was really rough looking.  You might want to check it first before you replace the fill hose.  I would bet mine was leaking some before I replaced it.

• Thanks 1

I just bought a 2008 Redfisher 16 and I have noticed a similar gas smell in the bilge as well as a gas smell near the gas fill port , particularly on a hot day. The boat looked great on the outside and it has a new engine (2018 115 Merc) but I am slowly finding out the innards of the boat are corroded significantly worse than I imagined. 

• Thanks 1

also check the fuel pick up tube. where the 90 fitting goes into the tank is a aluminum fitting. it will corrode and break off. i thought ran out of gas late one night, but wouldn't start after putting gas in, so i had to be towed in. next day i found the corroded and broken pick up. tank was sucking air from the broken fitting. i had to tap the fitting with a 3/8" tapered pipe thread tap to get the new fitting in. not a fun project.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday, I replaced the fuel level sender in my 2001 22v.  The sender was very badly corroded and the gasket was really rough looking.

Yes! My sender gasket definitely leaks. I've only been filling the tank to 1/2 full, and still the gas smell is strong after filling up, so I suspect I have other problems as well. Is yours a poly tank? What size sender did you need?

I just bought a 2008 Redfisher 16 and I have noticed a similar gas smell in the bilge as well as a gas smell near the gas fill port , particularly on a hot day.

Is it just a mild smell? I have heard the poly tanks naturally emit a bit of gas odor that's not dangerous. It's definitely disconcerting—I'm not sure I'd trade it for having an aluminum tank, though. I had a 17' Mako that I had to do a tank replacement on it. What a huge and expensive job.

also check the fuel pick up tube. where the 90 fitting goes into the tank is a aluminum fitting. it will corrode and break off.

Good thought, I'll double check that. Thankfully in its later years, this boat was primarily used in fresh water, so maybe I'll fare better. 😬

Thanks for all the replies! I'll take pics of the job for posterity once I get my replacement fill / vent hoses and find an afternoon that isn't already filled with projects that other (significant) family members deem more important than getting the boat back on the water. 😜

On 6/25/2020 at 10:08 AM, q0rban said:

Yes! My sender gasket definitely leaks. I've only been filling the tank to 1/2 full, and still the gas smell is strong after filling up, so I suspect I have other problems as well. Is yours a poly tank? What size sender did you need?

Mine is a poly tank and I ended up using an 8" sender.  

• 3 weeks later...

Began work on replacing the fill and vent lines over the weekend. It seemed like it was going better than expected. I'll post a walk-through of things later, but just wanted to give an update on this:

also check the fuel pick up tube. where the 90 fitting goes into the tank is a aluminum fitting. it will corrode and break off.

Good thought, I'll double check that. Thankfully in its later years, this boat was primarily used in fresh water, so maybe I'll fare better. 😬

Turns out, fate had a different plan for me. My pickup tube plate was completely crumbled. After some investigation, it's a brass fitting, screwed into a steel fitting (not stainless), screwed into an aluminum plate. And that aluminum plate is not bonded. So guess what happens over time in a wet environment with those components?

IMG_9113.thumb.jpg.c1c3192bbed71b3ce1167e5c9d9caa66.jpg

IMG_9134.thumb.PNG.25bc5fb79d52c326df69d7651f7d77f0.PNG

Some more research on here and THT reveals this is likely a Skyline fuel tank, with a known issue:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/753492-skyline-fuel-tank-fuel-outlet-corroded.html

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/280392-twin-vee-fuel-leaking-tank.html?styleid=9

My current plan is to get an aluminum NPT female weld-ready fitting and braise it to an aluminum plate with an oxy / acetylene torch. I'll post some pics for posterity once I get all the parts.