Watch the Heat

Capt. Troy

We stayed close yesterday and fished in the depth we worked last Wednesday. I just can't make the run for ARS in the charter boat and be profitable now that they have gotten so deep. It's funny watching all the boats hauling tail west out of site. Yesterday was like WTH, slick calm and hotter than heck, no current and the anchor wouldn't even pull tight. We caught a couple of gags right off the get go at 26 inches. I was figuring on a couple of moves and a limit for 6 by noon if we could get the boat to set right.

Around 10.30 am everyone was covered in sweat and nary a breeze. Could feel the heat coming from all the iron under our feet. My fuel temp was at 102.

My one angler who was catching good said he was gonna get in the shade of the helm to cool down for a minute. He kicked back on the lounge seat.
The rest keep fishing and I was helping the little girl catch grunts and holding on to her. Her daddy in the helm saying nothing. I ask him a question and no reply so I turn around and he is white as a ghost. I get some towels and the water hose and get him laying down and elevated his feet. Wet Towels under his arm pits around his groin, head and neck. He is not looking good. Get the anchor up and start heading for the dock. His pulse was at 50 and and respiration shallow and I am spooled up and running as hard as the boat can stand. Luckily being close we had an ETA of about 45 minutes.

15 minutes go by and he asked me to stop the boat so I came off plane and he set up in the seat. He had been laying still with his eyes closed. He sits up and we access him again. Says he is better from the wind from running and being wet. Then he told me he thought he was in a chopper when his eyes were closed. I was like WTH, this guy was out for a bit. Get some more water in him and head for the dock at a little more relaxed pace. Get back and put him in his truck with the a/c running while I cleaned the few fish we had.

His little girl said it scared her cause her daddy got sick and gave me a hug for taking care of him. Yea, I blew my social distancing for the day.

Note to self. Hydrate and keep a eye on all your anglers. That monkey can sneak up on you in a hurry. . You don't have to have a pre existing condition to get over heated.

My guy was former 82nd Airborne and in his early forties and no slouch.
I showed him this pic from the same area we were fishing a few days earlier and he just said next time.
I agreed! Didn't have to measure any of these.

I am used to the heat and know the dangers. It was one of the few days the heat was really bothering me. I just kept the hose on me and stayed wet. My angler wanted no part of that until it was too late.
Name:  jUIm6TF.jpg Views: 69 Size:  31.8 KB

It is a common misconception that adequate hydration will prevent this type of event. The high humidity levels found here in Florida (and all of the gulf states) prevent the sweat from evaporating off of your body at a normal rate.  Evaporation is what cools your body. Proper hydration will only work "as designed" in low humidity climates. Here in Florida, the only way you can force that required evaporation when outdoors is to move air (or cool water) across your sweating body. A breeze will help, but on still days you'd better plan on making a fast cruise every hour or so. Also, if your boat allows, keep anglers in the shade as much as possible. When exerting yourself in the Florida sun, know your limitations.

• Like 1

Good advise the feels like temp was 106 our last trip and you can start feeling bad in a hurry . We all need to be careful both on shore with the virus and on the water with the temperatures and humility sky rocketing . We left fish a couple times just to go for a quick blast around to cool off and we where only out three hours . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

I used to be a long distance runner.  Thought this might be helpful:  

https://puresportsnutrition.com/blogs/pure-sports-nutrition/hydration-tips-for-hot-humid-climates

Good stuff Dave.

In a nutshell if your sweating your probably OK.

Evaporation is your friend as it is what the body does to cool itself when you sweat. No air movement is bad news. It kills the natural effect to cool the body.

That is the difference as in my former life I taught and worked at every day with psychometric issues for comfort cooling in a industrial capacity.

Cool and dry was the equation to the comfort zone. When you sweat if the dew point is high enough that your sweat doesn't evaporate the natural body cooling doesn't work. "Sauna" Clammy feeling even in a controlled environment.

That would be the difference between heat exhaustion and heat stroke. You stop sweating your dehydrated and it will get you. You sweat like a pig and get hot it will get you to if your sweat won't evaporate.

Thus the reason swamp coolers don't work in Florida. The dew points are to high for efficient evaporate cooling without huge amounts of forced air.

Basic physics known as the heat index in layman's terms. Rednecks like myself call it swamp fever.

I am surprised birds didn't fall out of the sky yesterday!

• Like 2

Good job keeping an eye on everyone Capt Troy!!    My gf had the same thing happen while working in her yard the other day. I reacted the same way you did and got her cooled off (neck, armpits, groin with wet towels and water). It took her a couple days before she felt back to 100%. Very scary for her!

2 hours ago, lurem said:

Good job keeping an eye on everyone Capt Troy!!    My gf had the same thing happen while working in her yard the other day. I reacted the same way you did and got her cooled off (neck, armpits, groin with wet towels and water). It took her a couple days before she felt back to 100%. Very scary for her!

Did her skin color get scary looking. That is what freaked me out the most to start with. I had just looked at the guy 10 minutes earlier and he looked alright. I walked back to the helm and went oh my lord, this guy is in trouble. It came on quick.

7 hours ago, lurem said:

Similar, but she quit talking and was swaying back and forth while sitting on the ground.

Dale thank God that you had a eye on her seen what was going on and reacted correctly  Dale I hope that she isn’t offended by your wording 😊. You may want to remove the quit talking  .   Joe R