RayBrown

2015 "Action" series jack plate by Bob's Machine, 6" travel, self contained pump, up/down control is turn signal style mounted on steering array: this is a new problem that appeared last trip to the Texas coast: suddenly the jack plate will go up or down for only 1-2 seconds, then stop moving. I try the control again (either direction) immediately, no response. I wait 15 seconds and try again, jack plate moves for 1-2 seconds, then stops. I  wait 15 or so seconds and try again, jack plate moves for 1-2 seconds, then stops...repeat. The hydraulic pump is an enclosed unit (tank integral to pump) mounted outboard the transom in the jack plate frame work. This is Bob's Machine "Action" series jack plate. Suggestions on troubleshooting this are welcome., including procedure to check hydraulic oil level in the Parker Hannifin pump unit with the only plug at the bottom of the pump unit, i.e., no top fill reservoir. Thank you for your help. Be safe.

The best way to troubleshoot this type of problem, and eliminate the actuator as being the problem, is to disconnect the two main wires going to the actuator (usually green and blue) and touch them directly to the positive and negative coming from the battery.  The jack plate will move either up or down.  Touch the wires to battery in reverse order and the JP will travel the opposite direction.  If the JP works properly this way, you know the problem is in the relays or wiring harness or switch.

• Like 1

geeviam,

Thank you for that suggestion. It makes perfect sense. The pump actuator unit is by Parker Hannefin, per a data tag I can not fully read. The P.H. data sheet describes this unit as non serviceable in any way, so that answers my hydraulic fluid level top off question. I will let you know how your T/S suggestion works. 

1 hour ago, RayBrown said:

geeviam,

Thank you for that suggestion. It makes perfect sense. The pump actuator unit is by Parker Hannefin, per a data tag I can not fully read. The P.H. data sheet describes this unit as non serviceable in any way, so that answers my hydraulic fluid level top off question. I will let you know how your T/S suggestion works. 

You're welcome.  If it ends up that there is a problem with the wiring harness, you can check out this thread I started when I had similar problems with my Atlas jack plate:

mine will only run for a few seconds. anywhere from 2-5. If i wait a minute or two it will work for another couple seconds, sometimes won't work at all. Started the day Saturday working perfectly. Mine may just be a loose/bad connection but I'm going to have to dig into it this week some time. This is all new to me as I came from a skiff with very simple wiring.

SoutherWake, 

The pump motor stops completely after about 1-2 seconds of travel either up or down. That translates into about 1/2" of travel. If I wait for 15 seconds or so I can repeat that 1/2" travel, and then it stops again. This is on Battery 1, Battery 2, and All on the Perko switch. I have not yet dug deeply into this, but looked briefly for the Bob's Machine relay (Action series jack plate) that is hidden somewhere on this 2015 Tiburon NX22. I was able to find the pump tech data on the Parker Hannefin website for small boat products. The motor has an overheat protection feature, and the unit is completely sealed: no field service options, including adding oil so far as I can determine. I will post what I find, and appreciate the same from the forum. 

DaveC, agreed. FYI here is what I think is the unit on the Bob's Machine "Action" series jack plate (6" travel) that is giving me trouble - good technical info:

https://www.parker.com/Literature/Hydraulic Pump Division/Oildyne EHA/Compact EHA Instruction Manual HY22-3200B 7-13.pdf

Manufacturer is Parker Hannifin Corp. (Oildyne business unit), "Parker Compact Electro-Hydraulic Actuator (EHA), bulletin HY22-3200A/US

The wiring harness and turn signal style control switch are by Bob's Machine.They have good support at their website. 

I will post when I find the issue. Thank you all for your help. 

• Like 1

I have had the relays fail on mine. Also the breakers that are part of the harness will fail. They will work til hot, then open, then self reset. The Parker Actuators are pretty robust. Not often the problem. When I replaced my rusting all over motor it still worked well. I was able to find a motor @ East Lake Marine Electronics on eBay.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jh141 said:

I have had the relays fail on mine. Also the breakers that are part of the harness will fail. They will work til hot, then open, then self reset. The Parker Actuators are pretty robust. Not often the problem. When I replaced my rusting all over motor it still worked well. I was able to find a motor @ East Lake Marine Electronics on eBay.  

This may be my issue. It was a really hot day Saturday and the jack plate functioned perfectly until about noon. 

• 4 months later...