Gummy hydraulic fluid - Bob's Jack plate

whichwaysup

Thanks to a VERY cool member on here, I'm now the proud owner of a very well used Bob's Jackplate that will be going on the boat in a few months (no rush - more on that later).   I got the pump assembly first, and the reservoir was about 1/4 full of hydraulic fluid - some of which was still in liquid form, most of which was the consistency of clay, and a small amount around the intake/output nozzles was crusty.    I took it apart and got most of it out, but it looks like I'm going to need some sort of solvent to really get the gunk out.    I suspect that my hydraulic lines and the piston that is on the jackplate itself are all probably in similar state.

So, any thoughts on what I can run through it (assuming the pump still works)?  Would diesel fuel work?   I've heard that gasoline will dry out the plastic components, but diesel will not.   The other thought was transmission fluid.   

Thoughts?   

And, to the really cool member who sent this to me, a HUGE thank you - really looking forward to getting this thing working, cleaned up, and installed!

20200701_155759.jpg

• Like 1

Just went through this. The pickup screens are the most important part to be cleaned along with the tank obviously so I assume you did that by removing the pump from the tank? I actually put my own stainless screens in. I replaced the exact same ram you have with a new one because YOU CANNOT REMOVE THE CYLINDER TO CLEAN IT and heat would have just caused more of an issue, but used the same lines and used tranny fluid to run the pump up and down, dumped and refilled a few times. I also upgraded the solenoid's and it works like a champ!

Bob's is great about parts, a little pricey but quality parts and I saved $600 over buying new. 

• Like 1

Here is the switches I had made by Rocker Switch Pros, bottom right you see a Momentary on -off- Momentary on and the wording lights up when nav lights turn on. I love the jackplate on my setup, today when I was scrubbing the bottom of the boat i drove past all the boats anchored and went right on up in 1-1/2 feet of water with it all the way up and trim up, not even a puff of sand!

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG