Switch panel backlight DYI fix *SOLVED*

FINCHASER

I posted a thread a week or 2 ago on this found very little info but a fellow friend and forum member said dealer fixed his with LED strip lights... thought Id post to help someone else as there is more than meets the eye to doing this

For starters, if you put the strip right up against the label area wherever an led chip is near or on the lettering you get bright spots, which looked like crap. So the light needed to be diffused I thought I could accomplish this thru an opaque piece of plastic but didnt find anything that worked real well... it helped but bright spots still existed. I found that spacing it away from the panel seemed to work the best. So after some trial and error I took some ice maker type plastic tubing (5/16" OD i think) cut pieces just wider than each set of 2 chips then cut it in half. I taped the tubing in place over the pairs of chips with some clear tape, then placed the strip on the lettering panel and taped it down with AC type alum tape worked flawlessly.... well it was a bit to bright for me, tore it back down took a black sharpie and inked over each chip a few times to dull the light, Very happy with it though looking back if theres a next time Ill pick up an LED dimmer and attach it to the strip this way you can dial in the light exactly where you want it.

20200701_195755.jpg

20200630_231024.jpg

20200630_233115.jpg

• Like 1