2004 Pathfinder 2200 - Fuel and Prop Question

SCtiger2019

Last year I purchased a 2004 2200 with a 200hp Yamaha VMAX HDPI. I love the rig but have a few questions for the board.

Does anyone know where I can find fuel specs for this setup? 

Also, my boat has some cavitation while turning and getting up on plain when gunning it. I am running a 3-blade prop now (don't know exact specs off the top of my head) but wanted to get some insight on what others with similar setups are running. I am thinking a 4 blade would fix this but I'm no expert on props and how it affects fuel / performance so any info would be great.

First, what do you mean about fuel specs. Specs at cruise I recall approx 5.2 gph. Second, I run a 3 blade and do not have any problems with my 03 150 vmax hpd, it’s  a 19 pitch 3 blade. Brother had a 02 with a 200 vmax hpdi with a 14 1/4x21 if I recall correctly 3 blade and again no problems.

Most people have had good success with a Power Tech OFX4 prop on the 2200 V.  It will give you a great hole shot, will run well trimmed up and because it lifts the stern, you will get less porpoising.   

Regarding fuel for a HPDI, the most important thing is it has to be clean.  That motor compresses the fuel to 2000 psi.  Any contaminate drops out of the fuel and clogs a number of little filters in a HPDI.

2 hours ago, jrchandler said:

I have seen mention of the OFX4 ported 3/8 but I see no mention of the ported feature anywhere on the powertech website or anywhere else besides a couple mentions on a forum. Is this a custom prop?

I guess you could say it is. If you order one that is ported they put ports in one. I ordered mine ported.

My rig is a 2003 22V with a Tee Top with 200 HPDI. I ran the OFX 19 4 Blade and had a great hole shot and top end of just under 50MPH.  I have a Jack Plate and the OFX likes to run high. Height was limited to be water input to lower unit.  A water pressure gauge also helps.  Run your own tests and optimize Trim and  Jack Plate Height. Marcus can help with prop selection and how to optimize it.  Fuel quality was important to me and I aways ran Recreational grade ie Non-ethanol and again important to me was to use the Yamaha Ring Free additive.  I live in SW Florida and in the summer when the boat was not used as much i used Fuel Stabilizer. The motor lasted 12 years and 2000 hours and lack of use was probably the main problem. 

Good Luck With your new rig.It is a great combo.