Cracks showing up in tower just over 2 years NEW!

GMoneyman

My guess is since multiple other people have posted with the same exact issue, that it's cracking in the metal. Right at the heat affected zone of the weld, which is the most susceptible area to cracking due to change in section and embrittlement of the material. Call MBG, hopefully they will help you out.

since you have  pictures of the problem I  would sand the powdercoat and see is it is into the metal. unfortunately a betting man would take the odds that it is in the metal.

Powdercoating is very unforgiving and that is why if I  was fortunate enough to buy a new boat it would not be powdercoated.

Anodizing can have colors too and I  have wondered why it has not been used in the marine industry more.

3 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Anodizing can have colors too and I  have wondered why it has not been used in the marine industry more.

You’d have to dip the entire part after it was welded, not practical with large assemblies. The pipe used for t tops, leaning posts, towers, etc... is anodized, it’s just clear. The only time we used “bare” aluminum where I worked, is when a part was going to be painted or powder coated. When you weld anodized pipe you burn through the anodizing leaving a bare aluminum weld, most fabricators will go back over the weld with a silver paint. That’s why as they age the weld looks darker than the pipe... the bare aluminum weld oxidizes while the anodized pipe stays shiny. 

18 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

Not durable enough coating for scratching, chemicals in sunblocks can discolor it. The best thing about anodized is that if you did have a colored anything in anodized aluminum, a can of easy off oven cleaner can turn it back into bare aluminum in a heartbeat, anodizing wipes right off.

I think it was Capt. Troy who explained on another post that the vibration that t-top is under just not on the water but on the trailer going down the highway is a lot. That t-top is exposed to a constant 60-65 MPH wind putting pressure on it for however many miles you travel. Then just the vibrations and impacts from the road itself. There are alotta variables when it comes to how and why t-tops crack. Of course workmanship and quality of material is at the top of that list of course.

On 7/21/2020 at 4:45 PM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Not durable enough coating for scratching, chemicals in sunblocks can discolor it. The best thing about anodized is that if you did have a colored anything in anodized aluminum, a can of easy off oven cleaner can turn it back into bare aluminum in a heartbeat, anodizing wipes right off.

HB has anodized platforms, never heard of issues. Anodizing is a porous layer of aluminum oxide that grows from the parent material, Type II can be colored, Type III cannot really be colored and is typically dark greenish to black. Both are sealed. Type III is industrial/military grade and extremely hard and durable. I have several bike frames with type II anodize and have had zero issues with discoloration, it will wear/rub off if in contact with a cable for example, but so would powder coating or paint.

Oven cleaner will screw up just about every material on a boat, not just anodize, it is caustic soda which is an etching solution. So yes it will remove anodize, but it will also remove chrome and powder coating.

Hopefully we’ll hear the outcome of this. Seems every time there’s a stringer, t top crack or other major issue it disappears from the interwebs forever. I don’t know if the MBC is hooking these guys up out of warranty and telling them to keep quiet or if the owners just say F-it and handle it themselves. 

• 4 months later...

Wanted to do a follow up post with my warranty experience with pathfinder with the tower crack.

anyone interested? Jason here goes ! Pathfinder did fix it , great customer service . Some communication issues with Steve but , all in all great experience all around ! Special thanks to Tripper with Maverick and Beth from family boating keeping the project managed.

tower was taken off sand blasted fixed re sprayed  wired and installed in like a week ! Other items like screws backing out of rub rail  fixed as well .

only downside is all that debris and shop scraps left in the bilge. Few hours of clean up would of scored Maverick an 💯 .

Let’s hope thus fixed second station doesn’t fail again ! Also not sure what’s pathfinders take on the remainder of my warranty  now ?

thanks team Pathfinder. 

• 2 weeks later...