Add gas shock to front hatch 03 2200V

General disarray

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2020 at 2:26 PM, JPizzle said:

Would this be as good, or better than just replacing with the friction hinges?  

From what I’ve been told, the friction hinges put extra stress on the hatches and will eventually lead to cracking. They are fine for smaller hatches that do not weigh as much.

@Chief5130 I’m wanting to do my front hatches as well. Where did you buy the shocks and how many lbs? Both sides of front hatch or just the one? And are they attached to the lid with adhesive or am I going to have screwheads showing up top? Thanks

1 hour ago, PGolz said:

From what I’ve been told, the friction hinges put extra stress on the hatches and will eventually lead to cracking. They are fine for smaller hatches that do not weigh as much.

@Chief5130 I’m wanting to do my front hatches as well. Where did you buy the shocks and how many lbs? Both sides of front hatch or just the one? And are they attached to the lid with adhesive or am I going to have screwheads showing up top? Thanks

The shock is attached with drilled and tapped machine screws to the lid, it is through bolted the lid gunnel. I did this sometime ago and do not remember what the Lbs rating it is, I will look at it and see if it is marked. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chief5130 said:

The shock is attached with drilled and tapped machine screws to the lid, it is through bolted the lid gunnel. I did this sometime ago and do not remember what the Lbs rating it is, I will look at it and see if it is marked. 

Do you know how thick the lid is? I hadn't considered this but it's definitely the better way to do it. I guess you haven't had any problems with it pulling out yet which would be my only concern. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, PGolz said:

Do you know how thick the lid is? I hadn't considered this but it's definitely the better way to do it. I guess you haven't had any problems with it pulling out yet which would be my only concern. Thanks!

The lid is 3/4 - 1" thick.  The machine screws only go into the inner fiberglass liner.  I installed this March of 2014, still as good as new.

• Like 1