Rust stains from washing

mulligan

My house water is from a well and has some iron in the water.  So every time I wash the boat it leaves a slight film of iron that discolors the boat.  I have have tried hand drying and waxing more but it just comes back on the next wash.  Short of removing the rust and waxing the whole boat every time it is used is there anything that can be used to prevent rust stains?  I was thinking about a hose filter like https://www.amazon.com/Eco-One-Outdoor-Purifier-Accessories/dp/B004P5M4LE but not sure if it will work.

If it is dissolved iron, comes from the tap but the turns red over time, the filter you are looking at would not be very effective.  Those types filters use a media called KDF which tend to be less effective than the claims.  If you are trying to keep the cost down, you might try some type of filter that uses polyphosphate crystals.  The more expensive option would be a traditional backwashing iron filter.  The RustAid solution they sell at Home Depot will remove any rust stains.  It is an acid so be careful around aluminum and be sure to rinse thoroughly. 

I would think you at some point haft to clean the water or wash the boat at a car wash. It would seem that anything you apply to the boat to remove rust would need to rinsed off, again with tainted water. For the same money this may work better.

https://www.amazon.com/iFilters-Sediment-Comparable-Cartridges-Included/dp/B079NX153V/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rust+filter&qid=1595420982&sr=8-3