Height of Casting Platform ON MA 17

Wanaflatsfish

I am considering creating a large casting platform on the front of my MA17.

It would sit over the front hatch...

I had one on my PF years ago and loved it....

Last Week COTO and I used the Trolling Motor to ease into a few of the "deeper" spots in Flamingo  on the flats and had several muds and few hits.....

With this as a goal....

What are other's opinions....

The hatch is 15" wide open...

Do you go? Height?

18?

20?

24?

Note, I plan on a step and sissy bar for the front to be able to hold on to on the water....

The standing platform will be about 30 wide and 20 long in the shape of the hatch...

Comments would be welcome...

Pics would be a nice benefit for ideas....

dc

• Like 1

I have two, a older 14”-ish and a 24”-ish. I think it really depends on what your comfortable standing on. If your casting a spinning rod or can throw an entire spool of fly line 80-100’ the higher one is better, especially in murky water or when using a trolling motor... it’s not like your sneaking up close on anything anyway with a TM so the farther you can see the better. That’s what I think anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jason p said:

I have two, a older 14”-ish and a 24”-ish. I think it really depends on what your comfortable standing on. If your casting a spinning rod or can throw an entire spool of fly line 80-100’ the higher one is better, especially in murky water or when using a trolling motor... it’s not like your sneaking up close on anything anyway with a TM so the farther you can see the better. That’s what I think anyway. 

I am thinking 24"...large and stable....no fly fishing...mostly just want to see the muds or moving feeeesh....

WE did get pretty close up on the mudding fish in front of Flamingo....mostly we eased up and then just sat quietly.....

DC