Livewell shutoff valve replacement

Jim-nashville

Dear all knowing Hewes enthusiasts:

The shutoff valve on my 2003 Hewes Redfisher in inoperable. I am a loss as to why the valve seized, you would think it would last longer than 20 years. I can only assume the previous owner caused it's early demise. I have owned the boat for only 14 years clearly it seizure could not be my responsibility.

My questions to the form are:

Does anyone know the size of the pipe from the through hull to the cutoff valve. I have attached a picture of the pipe.

Do I need to replace the strainers? They do not look damaged but are they separable from the cutoff valve and the pump?

Has anyone has difficulty separating the cutoff valve from the through hull pipe.

Jim Michie

Miramar Beach

cutoff_valve.jpg

• Like 1

Only 20 years, no problem!!!  The answer is yes, all the components do separate. First, remove the pump, then strainer, then spray some liquid wrench inside the shutoff toward the threads where the shutoff and thru hull are connected and spray the outside. Do this 2 or 3 times a day for a couple of days. Then you need a pipe wrench and an end-wrench to separate the thru-hull pipe and the broken shutoff.

When you reassemble, clean the thru-hull pipe with mineral spirits  or acetone, then apply "Life Caulk" to the threads and connect the new shutoff. The caulking will allow you to assemble the parts in any orientation so you can reach the shutoff, strainer or pump. You don't have to over tighten the components, the caulk will provide a good seal. I would replace the strainer because the part that goes bad is the stainless steel mesh screen.  

MBG used Marlon valves years ago.  They were a great idea that didn’t work very well.  I’m impressed that lasted this long, mine failed years ago.

I suggest you replace them with 3/4” ball valves, either brass or stainless.  Make sure the new valves have a rust resistant handle.

Thanks for your help. Not sure of a replacement shutoff valve, so I'll replace it with a Marlon. It did last a long time. I will take your advise and replace the strainers. I plan to use new Rule pumps they both still work, but since I am replacing shutoff valves and strainers it seems only prudent to get everything new.

Again thanks for your help

Jim Michie

Marlon is a bad idea in my opinion. Someone on here is selling some top shelf brass and stainless in line shut offs. Brass at a minimum would be my .02. I suspect the new Marlon will fail much quicker than the old ones as ummm well they don't make em like they used to.

• 3 weeks later...