Fire Extinguisher Mounting

RacerxV6

Need some input folks.  I want to mount my extinguisher on my leaning post, it's the only location that makes sense.  Question is how thick is the leaning post material "the front larger post" and can I drill and then use self tapping stainless or aluminum screws?  Let me know what you all think and what you have done.  I thought about installing in the back hatch where the bilge access is, but more than likely that's where the fire will be.  Front post is 2 1/2" O.D.

Inside the console is not suitable for quick access.

1 hour ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Have you thought about mounting the extinguisher to your cooler? Maybe horizontal on the front of the cooler. The finish on your leaning post looks really good, so I would be worried about corrosion from dissimilar metals (aluminum / stainless) and  potential pealing of the powder coating.  

I did not think about that,  I guess I could drill seal with 5200 or something  equivalent.  Heck, know you got me thinking I could eve remove the cushion on the leaning post and mount it to the underside and then just mount the cushion back that way the screws aren't even seen.

32 minutes ago, jh141 said:

If you do or ever do mount to any aluminum wrap with tommy tape and use stainless hose clamps,  Or some sort of nylon block style clamp. When you need to remove easy and no scars.

JH141, thanks for the tip on using the "Tommy Tape", may be something I look at if I don't go the cooler route.

28 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

I  would  think twice about drilling into the  powder  coat paint. Once you create a breach salt will work its way underneath.   if you want to do do some looking there are starboard items that will clamp/screw together  to hold the fire extinguisher. 

Thanks Smilemaker, I'll take a look

5 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

that's what I really want to do.  I notice you have it on both sides.  How hard was it to drill and tap....

It is not hard to do.  You just need to keep turning it in and backing it out a little at a time to clear the chips.  Use a little oil also helps.

DSC_0011.jpeg

• Like 1