2005 22t front pitch well loosing prime

Capt._Fabian_Guerrero

I’ve got a 2005 22 tournament and I keep loosing prime in the front pitch well. I can get the front well to prime as long as I’m on plane but after I come off it will loose prime easily. I’m running a 500 gph rule, I’ve tried it with and without the factory strainer. Same results... any one deal with this before? Thanks 

Can you send a pic of the bilge and how the strainers and pumps are oriented? If the shutoff valve, strainer and pump are oriented vertical, it's possible that the pump is too far above the water line to get and keep a prime. Additionally, the pump has to push the water a long way to the front pitch-well.

I had the same problem with both live-wells when I bought my boat. I started by adding a 90 degree elbow to the stem coming from the pick-up. This oriented everything else in a horizontal position instead of vertical. So, the shutoff, strainer and pump are below the water line. Never had a problem after that.

I have had an issue with an airlock in the hose from the pump to the nozzle in the live well. I found this video from rule explaining how airlocks prevent priming. sure enough I found my that my hose from the pump had a dip in the run that allowed water to stay there and thus preventing the pump to prime the system. The system would prime after running due to the water pressure from running would be able to compress the air and get the water moving again. This may not be your issue but something to check out. I have not had a priming issue since I adjusted the feed hose so that there were no places where water could stand in the line.