Fuel calibration on new 2200 TRS

jramm

Joined the Pathfinder family last week with a new 2200 TRS and 200 Yamaha SHO. I’m working through my break-in period and unsure about the fuel calibration. The Yamaha 6YC manual is pretty straightforward but the boat had some fuel from dealer, so I added a bit more (20 gal)  for break-in. Capacity read 35 gal after fill-up and seems to be adjusting as I run, but wondering if I should do my own calibration and if so “how” as the manual states tank should be empty? Any feedback appreciated. 

If you mean the level is changing from time to time by saying adjusting.... keep in mind it you will get different readings based on the attitude of the boat its just how it works.  IF the boat is sitting dead in the water youll get one reading.... give it some throttle the bow rise causes the fuel to run to the rear of the tank and the fuel sender reads a rise in the fuel.  Assuming the sender is in the middle of the tank your going to get a diff read regardless if the bow is raised or the stern.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jramm said:

First call was actually them to see if they had already performed the setup, they suggested I go through it but doesn’t seem possible with fuel. I will check with them again this week. They are in-town but not exactly around the corner.

You definitely shouldnt do it with any fuel in the tank

49 minutes ago, FINCHASER said:

If you mean the level is changing from time to time by saying adjusting.... keep in mind it you will get different readings based on the attitude of the boat its just how it works.  IF the boat is sitting dead in the water youll get one reading.... give it some throttle the bow rise causes the fuel to run to the rear of the tank and the fuel sender reads a rise in the fuel.  Assuming the sender is in the middle of the tank your going to get a diff read regardless if the bow is raised or the stern.

Thanks for the replies ... just to clarify it seems to be working correctly. After my initial fill up the gauge read 35 gal available and seems to be adjusting down as I use the boat (now at 25 gal). I just wasn’t sure if/how it was originally set-up so thought I would check here for how others approached this. According to the Yamaha docs I don’t think it would even let me recalibrate with fuel in the tank. 

Just IMO, This is what I did when I bought my 22'. I would fill the tank completely, then reset the trip log. When you refuel again, reset the log and just track it that way a couple times before you calibrate or change anything. If Fuel level or fuel remaining seems off then run it down as far as you can and calibrate. I think you will get a feel for if its ok after a couple or three fill ups. I keep mine full. I always fill up on my way home. Keeps condensation down in the tank and I am always ready to go. Might not be ideal for everyone as my boat never sits more than a week or two so no problem with quality.

Welcome to the family and Enjoy

My 2017 2200 TRS never went to the dealer. Straight from MBG to CCA to me. The fuel gauge on the 6YC seems to be pretty accurate, so it must have been set up at MBG for each hull. 

So.....you are probably good to go. Get that boat in the water and try to wear it out.  :)

I’m about 12 hours into break-in. Fuel calibration seems good after tracking with trip settings as suggested. 

I need to check my prop specs, but boat is having top put on this week. 

I have only touched full throttle once and RPMs seemed to max at 5000 (which doesn’t seem right). I was probably jacked up an inch or two.

I have been a little tentative as I have had the overheat alarm trip several times during break-in at various ranges between 3500 and 4800 rpms. In each situation I have backed off and taken it slow for a bit without further issue. I don’t think any situation was jacked up over 3 but it’s possible as I tend to run with it up at least an inch.

I think I was at about 42-43 mph on gps around 4800 rpms the other day, but I’m definitely still getting the feel.

I will update in September after the top is installed with more details. Info above is primarily half tank of gas and 2-3 on board.

5000/rpm is definitely not enough, you should be up at least 5600 to 6000 at FT. Do some searches about breaking in the SHO, you do NOT want to baby it. 

Do some searches on the breaking in and "Making Oil" situation.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=713594

Also it should not overheat, might be mounted on JP too low. More info on FB  owners group. 

16 minutes ago, Waterman18 said:

5000/rpm is definitely not enough, you should be up at least 5600 to 6000 at FT. Do some searches about breaking in the SHO, you do NOT want to baby it. 

Do some searches on the breaking in and "Making Oil" situation.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=713594

Also it should not overheat, might be mounted on JP too low. More info on FB  owners group. 

Thanks, I will take a look. I was expecting at least 5500 so I was a bit surprised. I have been running between 3500 and 4800 pretty consistently, varying rpms.