Another epic weekend on the trippys

dcathey

We caught 2 on Saturday and 2 this morning to keep the run going. As far as table fare goes in earlier post, it’s hands down my favorite any way it’s prepared. My 2 and picky 7 year old gobble it up. We eat a couple meals per week and are vacuum sealing for the winter

9A4C785E-DEFD-46AB-9D13-D9C0FC2E4620.jpeg

ABA2F552-F928-4BDB-A174-9B3C5347A220.jpeg

EBA2B4E4-F65D-4318-84B2-9392EB74FE0E.jpeg

On 8/10/2020 at 12:24 PM, smilemaker said:

when you make your cut at the dorsal fin do you make your first cut from underneath or do you try to to go through the  scales from the  outside. 

maybe a new post on how everyone cleans their fish would be nice.

I use a serrated blade and make the long cut from the top to bottom, following behind gill plate. Then I switch to regular Bubba blade and work the filet off of the bones all the way down but not at the rib cage. After filet is almost free, I’ll grab serrated and slide over rib cage and knock rest of filet off backbone. I could probably streamline this a little bit But it works and I don’t miss much if any meat

my first cut is behind the  gill plate going under the scales.  the second cut is just a small slit that starts at the top of the initial cut on the dorsal and goes next to dorsal fin to the tail. it is done from under the skin to the outside. this avoids having to go through the scales from the outside. now fillet along this line from dorsal down to backbone. no need for a serrated knife as you are not fighting the  scales from the outside of the fish other than initial cut  but it is against the scale and lifts them.

might be a discussion  needing it own post as not to complicate the wonderful  triple  tale.