Trolling Motor Battery Brand/Size recommendation

BillAV8R1

I'm going to be purchasing a Minn Kota Terrova 112lb 60" or 72" trolling motor for my '16 2200 TRS and I'm looking for battery brand and size recommendations.  I know I need three of them, but not sure what size/series to get.  I've been looking at Optima blue tops and Odyssey batteries.  Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - 

Bill

I can tell ya there are better choices than optima. For the price they should last forever but I’ve had to replace both of mine within two years. Never will I buy another. Others will give you several ones to choose from but for the money I would buy from Walmart/Sams. I had them on my Jon boat and never had an issue nor did I run them down. (24v Ulterra)

I use Deka Intimidator AGM Group 24 (8A24M). I have three in a custom box in the console. Never have run out of power. I do have a Stealth 1 ac/dc charger and that may allow me to get by with group 24s, but I do not think so. They last an average of 5 to 6 years.  My House 1 battery is a Optima blue Group 27 and I am replacing it very soon. Not impressed. I had a MG Xi5  36 volt and now have a Rohdan 36 volt. Can Not go wrong with Deka AGMs. Dekas are also labeled  with other names. Do your research.

Odyssey or Northstar or X2Power ( rebadged Northstar from Batteries Plus) are my preference in premium AGMs. I get 8 to 10 years out of them before they start to slowly degrade. Never had a sudden failure. I use group 34M. M version has dual terminals, one set being threaded studs. 

One other benefit of AGMs over flooded batteries is that AGMs don't off-gas and therefore your terminals and adjacent hardware won't corrode.

I have same 36 v 112 Minn Mota.....currently have 3 Deka 27 series batteries in center console and on board 3 bank Minn Kota charger also located in the center console. No issues here fighting South Georgia six foot tide swing while Tarpon and Tripletail fishing on beachside for several hours. Boat is a 2009 PF 2200XL. 

the battery manufacturers make it difficult to truly know the  difference between name brand and rebranded varieties. 

one general belief is that the name brand is made from better quality of lead and the rebranded versions are recycled lead.  The name brand will usually  have a longer warranty and I  personally  believe that is the reason for higher cost. Just like buying a extended  warranty.  I would look at the specs and make a choice of agm batteries. 

OK, here goes. I am not on the AGM train. They cost and weigh more (an in a lot of cases less "juice"). If you look at specs most good wet cells have more RC. I use wet cell Interstates in all of my boats. This spring I switched out all the batteries in the Pathfinder after SEVEN years (and they had not failed). I did go from group 27 to 31 on the TM batteries only because the price difference was minimal. I have seen ZERO corrosion or any issues due to out gassing but the Pathfinder console does have plenty of air movement. Sure, I do have to water them a few times a year but that affords me the chance to check connections while I am in there. I do have a Stealth AC/DC charging system which I believe has a lot to do with the the performance of the wet cells or for that matter any battery.

you can outgas an agm battery as well. they have a pressure releif valve .

In my opinion location and ease of access is the only reason to go agm. Do to space constraints and manufacture desire to make things look neat agm are more practical for the average boater.

improper charging is the biggest demise to any battery.

2 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

Do y’all keep your chargers plugged up at all times? I do but I have heard of people that won’t saying they will hurt the life. I’ve never had an issue. 

No. I only plug up maybe 10/12 times a YEAR and then all is charged within no more than 4/5 hours.

Dry Stacks will not let you charge batteries inside the building because it is considered a fire hazard (think about it).