Analog Gauge Guys !!!

RacerxV6

So, I recently had my 20 hour service completed for the break in period of my VF115XA.  When I was speaking with the service manager and I asked how many hours I had on it, she replied 26.  Okay, so I was 6 over.  I don't think that is going to hurt anything in the sense of an early termination or failure.  My question to all of you that have analog gauges is.  What do you all do to monitor the hours on your engines?  The digital gauge guys have the ability to see this and we don't.  

Do you all keep a record of out and in times?

Do you all have your units connected via yamalink or Merc vessel view?

What other idea or procedures do you have in place?

Thanks,

RacerxV6

You can add a 12 volt hour meter to your ignition switch which will record the hours that the key is "on". A free standing 12 volt hour meter will cost you between $35 and $55. If you have an NMEA 2000 compatible chart plotter, you can build an NMEA system for about $120 and plug your new motor into the system with a brand specific wire harness (another $120 or so). If you go with the NMEA 2000 system you can get interesting data displayed on your chart plotter such as engine hours, fuel flow rates, fuel consumed, engine rpm and quite a few others.

2 hours ago, hawg said:

You can add a 12 volt hour meter to your ignition switch which will record the hours that the key is "on". A free standing 12 volt hour meter will cost you between $35 and $55. If you have an NMEA 2000 compatible chart plotter, you can build an NMEA system for about $120 and plug your new motor into the system with a brand specific wire harness (another $120 or so). If you go with the NMEA 2000 system you can get interesting data displayed on your chart plotter such as engine hours, fuel flow rates, fuel consumed, engine rpm and quite a few others.

So this is the route I would like to go, but some say its not worth it as you won't get your monies worth.  The fact that I can see hours and fuel mileage would be worth it to me.  My plotter should work as it is a 10" Gen 3 Helix.

13 minutes ago, SouthernWake said:

The stand alone 12v hour meter is what I have. You don’t even have to put it on the console as you can wire it in and put it inside the console and check it every so often. I dont even think I spent $20 on mine, going strong for 2 years or so now.

So If i go the Humminbird route, it is going to run me around $250.  I just priced everything out.  So, I think I will install a 12v hour meter for now and down the road look into doing the humminbird setup.  

8 hours ago, F1sh0n said:

Do you not have a digital gauge?  I think you need a speedo for hours.  The reason I mention it, is the “standard” gauges keep time by key on, not by engine running.  Leave the key on for a week between uses and man you have racked up some hours!

No, I have analog, hence the name "Analog Gauge guys"  not trying to be a SA, I should have ordered digital when I bought the boat....

8 hours ago, F1sh0n said:

Do you not have a digital gauge?  I think you need a speedo for hours.  The reason I mention it, is the “standard” gauges keep time by key on, not by engine running.  Leave the key on for a week between uses and man you have racked up some hours!

How often are you leaving the battery on with the key in and clicked over One to the acc. Power for a week at a time/while the boat is in storage?

7 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

How often are you leaving the battery on with the key in and clicked over One to the acc. Power for a week at a time/while the boat is in storage?

there are times when i finish washing the boat, put stuff in the console and accidentally hit the switch   as for dead batteries, not really, at least not with me