Pathfinder 1800/1900

johnd

accepted an offer (contingent on all the normal stuff) and I might soon be in the market for a new to me boat.  Reading and thinking and the 1800 or 1900 Pathfinder might be on the list.  So couple questions: first, anyone in East Central Fl have an 1800 or 1900 you would trade a ride for (beers?, gas? whatever).    2nd: floating what do these boats draw?  My old Lappy drew a real 12", 13" with two of us.  I want that or better for the places I fish. 3rd: was told Pathy 1900 'dolphin' and need tabs?       Miss my Lappy! and both my wife and kids say find another one.. but I'm thinking MA or Pathy and yes very different.  

80% of my fishing is within the Indian River lagoon and specifically the Banana 'River".  Mangrove shorelines, flats.  I love to pole when someone with me, otherwise I use TM.  When the tarpon are nearshore I run the beaches. In the winter it's sweetwater to chase Shad, specs and bass, and of course the annual journeys to the west coast for scollop and Keys for fun.  

All advice is welcome and I hope to soon be back in the MBG family.

Hi John, 

I ran a 1900v with a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke, for a decade and loved it! I ran 4 batteries on mine (2 trolling motor, 1 house and 1 dedicated for the amplifier/stereo; 3 under the console and 1 aft by the oil tank) and drafted around 11” depending of how much fuel and gear I had with me. It’s a pretty dry ride and will impress the heck out of you on snotty days! Of all the boats I’ve owned, it was my favorite and I’d love to have another one some day! I never had issues with porpoising but have heard some people complain about it. I think propeller choice makes a huge impact on that specific complaint. Keep in mind that those hulls were designed before the 4 stroke “revolution” and were not intended to haul the heavier motors. Although the 4 strokes do keep getting lighter, maybe they’re closer in weight theses days? With a 2 stroke, it’s long been know that the PowerTech SCD/4 is the go to prop on this hull. Pitch will vary depending on power, but 17 or 18 pitch will be close unless you fined one with a 150. 

I had mine down in the Lagoon a handful of times and fished all in and around the clinkers several times with no real issues. It’s light enough that you can push it off the bottom so long as you’re not hard aground. I never did pole mine, but have had it all up in the grass in NE Florida chasing flood tide reds, on the beach chasing tarpon and cobia, and 20 miles offshore bouncing reefs (with a buddy boat). 

@justfish had a Lappy and then a 1900v. I bet he could give you a great assessment between the two. 

I have had the 19 path (150 2 stroke)and I sold it to get into the 22 (150 4 stroke). all To accommodate my family! I have to tell you it absolutely did not cause me to have to change my back country approach. It will do all that you are asking. It has wide beam and it deals with chop very well.  As far as poling, you can if you realLy want to, but  I didn’t bother because the TM And power pole did  the job just fine for me. it has got skinny On runs I have had and also when I would just come up on flats, to the point that I was Concerned...but it handled lovely..

hope this little bit of insight helped.

Like Brad said I had both and fished a lot of same area you are talking about. Surprisingly I didn’t give up any measurable draft. The wide beam and light weight of the 1900 makes it pretty shallow drafting.  Real 12-13”, same as bayfisher. 

The big thing you will give up is ability to pole. I obviously could get the Bayfisher shallower by poling. I have seen some poling platforms on 1900 but I didn’t have one and can’t really see poling one except in perfect conditions 

I never had proposing issues with mine but the 4 blade is a must for handling. 

For running the beach, scalloping, running round the keys all the other stuff you mentioned , the Pathy will be head a shoulders a better boat with the family. 

I had one major complaint about mine , that was the side scuppers. Without plugs in, they let water in and drained poorly. The 2003 and 04 I believe have the rear scuppers that address this. I would focus on boats with those. 

i owned a 2000 1810 and loved the boat.   I had a 2 stroke 130 and the performance was very good.  It would porpoise on occasion, but the boat had tabs.   I would strongly recommend tabs on this model, as it helped when fishing off the beaches for tarpon and the waves picked up.   The tabs allowed us to drop the nose into the swells and provided a much better ride in those conditions.   It is a very good overall boat to get relatively skinny, but also get off the beaches and close in wrecks when conditions allowed.   Made many trips to the keys with the family and it allowed us to snorkel, fish the reefs, but also get in 12-18" of water if necessary.    I bought the boat and it had a 12 v trolling motor.   I would recommend a 24 volt for sure, especially if you fish passes or areas with any current.   My boat did have a poling platform, but I never poled the boat.   I did enjoy the platform and used it for sight fishing, a platform for rigging/bait prep and for just sitting waiting on the rods to go off.   

I moved up to a 22 TRS and that is a much different boat.  I also have a 16 Bonefisher and I would say there is not a significant difference in where I can fish with that boat and the 1810, but the 1810 is a much more family friendly boat.   The wide beam provides a good amount of room and the platform is very stable.

Good luck with your search.