Performance Trailer Axle Replacement

Seacraft06

I am trying to replace the axle and hubs on the Performance Trailer under my 20 Pathfinder. I figure someone else on here has probably already done this. Can you direct to me the size and a good online location to order from?

I have measured it myself but I can’t find one that’s exactly the same, maybe I am measuring wrong? 

The local trailer shop is useless, can’t even get a call back. 

I took the following pictures.

The first picture is the placard so I am looking at a 3500lbs axle?

The second picture is from outside I beam to outside I beam. 

The third picture is from rim to rim. 

The last picture is from the center of the opposite side tire. 

7DAC8FE5-4031-4611-BF44-6554B30E8F7F.jpeg

8BA08D61-6D01-4C14-BC90-2A30959FF8B1.jpeg

A87409E1-877D-47A7-B88A-C2D29AA89190.jpeg

9D498CE2-DF64-449C-A681-6FF81117C3CF.jpeg

It been several years since I replaced an axle. But, if you Google boat trailer axles, you'll come up with several axle manufacturers. On their sites, they explain how to measure for a replacement axle. If I remember correctly, the most important measurements are; the measurements where the axle connects to the frame and the overall length of the axle, not including the hub. 

A good trailer shop can make axles for your exact measurements. They buy the axles pre-made, then cut the ends to the correct length, then insert the torsion arm or weld on a spindle. Shipping is going to be expensive. I think you'd be better off to find a good trailer shop and drip off your old axle, then they would duplicate it.  

• Like 1

Wanted to replace by torsion axle and waited 12 weeks for it and the manufacturer sent the wrong one. Have ordered another and was told it would be 10 weeks. The first one sent causes the tires to rub on the fenders. Factory said use galvanized steel bars to raise the frame for clearance. Don't like that idea as the trailer is aluminum and I see it as a potential rust issue.

How do I order an Axle?

When replacing your axle there are a number of items to consider, these include:

• Axle weight capacity
  • Axle arm start angle
  • Axle bracket spacing
  • Hub face to face measurement
  • Brakes
  • Axle type or manufacturer
  • Axle orientation (leading arm vs trailing arm

I would use this as a starting point. Once you gather all this info call around see in yours matches any current trailer builders. 

With Torsion Axles Start angle is important, also the amount of drop in the center so the clearance in good. 

Not having the manufacturer to ask or a label on the current axle to makes it all that much more of a pain.

Trailer Axle.jpg

Call Ameratrail parts in Bronson FL....they have a huge parts section and might be able to help.   

Also, my fishing buddy DonH had a performance and had the same issues - no one knew where to find it....he found a trailer guy in Jupiter who was able to match it....send him a PM and he might be able to guide you to him.

dc

8 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Call Ameratrail parts in Bronson FL....they have a huge parts section and might be able to help.   

Also, my fishing buddy DonH had a performance and had the same issues - no one knew where to find it....he found a trailer guy in Jupiter who was able to match it....send him a PM and he might be able to guide you to him.

dc

I cannot find how to send him a message. Any chance you can get the name of the shop from him for me?

Use a straight edge to transpose the measurement to the ground. Pretty easy to do for the I beam frame. For hub face to hub face you will need to remove the wheels or get really creative. Any bow in the tape is a problem.  Looks like most axles are 72" or 80" I beam frame width and 86" or 94". All I saw were 30 degree down angle.

Check out the web site Limitless suggested, it will help you even if you do not buy from there.

https://www.boattrailerparts.com/Galvanized-Torsion-Axle-3500lb-Capacity-86-inch-Hub-Face-For-72-inch-I-Beam-Trailer-Frame_p_1483.html

The trailer frame is 100% 84” wide. I even tried 4 different tape measures thinking I was nuts.

I have tried everything and everywhere. Just absolutely can not find an axle to fit this thing. 

Frame outside to outside is 84” wide. 

Hub face to hub face is 97”.

Brake flange to brake flange is 91”.

I even found a metal tie wrap, wrapped around the axle.  It has “Tie Down Engineering 2826991 3500lbs” stamped into it. This was a dead end too. 

A while back another member on here, gambler1 who was not too far from the Tampa area,  had the same issue odd size axle with his Ameritrail trailer. I had him call my trailer guy and he was able to get matching torsion axles and install it for him, took a little time but he was quite happy. I know it's 400 miles away from KW but if you have no luck you can give him a call.

Here's the reply from "gambler1" from July 2108

Thanks Don V for the recommendation,

Ended up having Peterson trailer replace my axles/hubs  and a few other goodies.

Jason & Tracy are very nice people to work with and got me up and running fitting me into there busy schedule.

On a side note I would like to give a heads up to anyone needing to replace the axles on trailer for their Pathfinder be aware that Ameratrail uses an uncommon size axles

for an 80" wide trailer. I had to drive over to the Factory to pick up the 2 axles or wait 2 weeks to have them built.

They are 95 1/2" x 22.5 degree Tiedown for the Pathfinder dual axle trailers.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:06 AM, Seacraft06 said:

I called Tie Down and I was told they sold the axle part of the company to Dexter. I called and left a message asking for a return call and never got one. 

Depending how much you need the axel..but, just saying..I would call them back.......in today's world, sometimes I call suppliers 3x's as everyone is overwhelmed with work and help is gone....your message could have been lost in the electronic world of voice mail or on a slip of paper.....

dc