Islamorada Hump

AntonRx

Evening everyone. Some quick questions:

1. Have you ever taken your 20' pathfinder out to one of the humps in the keys (Islamorada/409)?

2. If so, how was it?

3. Do you recommend going offshore in the keys on a good day with a 2000v that has 2 starter batteries and 2 trolling motor batteries?

4. What if there were 1-2 other boats following you (both being small-mid sized offshore boats)?

asking for a friend..lol

A couple years ago, we caught a bunch of black fin tuna at the humps in my 2200V.

Just like we caught some nice red grouper last week 26 miles offshore off Apalachicola.

It’s about having your boat in great shape.  Having safety gear including a EPIRB, In Reach and Sirius weather.  Being patience, to wait for the right weather window and having the experience to handle the unexpected.

11 hours ago, AntonRx said:

Do you recommend going offshore in the keys on a good day with a 2000v that has 2 starter batteries and 2 trolling motor batteries?

4. What if there were 1-2 other boats following you (both being small-mid sized offshore boats)?

asking for a friend..lol

batteries and trolling motor are not going to get you back from the humps

a buddy boat is a good suggestion....it can get really snotty under the right conditions in the afternoon....

I used to run my Pathfinder 22 over 25-30 miles offshore in the summer in FLL chasing fins.  I would pick the day, out the inlet as the sun is rising, back in by 1130-12 to avoid the afternoon thunderstorms..

Remember what an old salty captain once told me - THE BOAT DOESN'T KNOW YOU ARE 30 MILES OFF SHORE - ONLY YOU DO - run the boat accordingly !!!  

DC

I have spent plenty of time at the humps. The fish are there for a reason. It's a place that will have a area of fairly calm water and the surrounding area can get darn sporty even on good days. Lots of current accelerated towards the surface can make a washing machine out of the place. I would not go there in a 20 foot bay boat without a buddy boat that is of offshore design.

I nearly turned my Rampage over fighting a small Blue Marlin on the 409. Fairly nice day, wind around 10 knts against the current. Fish took of running right into the up welling. I made a mistake and got sideways for a split second and put a few hundred gallons in the cock pit. Another minute later we were in slick clam water. More times than not the tuna are in the snot to tempt you into it.

Just remember that offshore in the keys means very strong currents most of the time. Numerous squalls can make it nasty in seconds. You lose power a trolling motor ain't gonna help you and you could end up sideways or stern to the seas in seconds.

Pick your days and have a buddy boat.