Show Me Your Measuring Tape

AntonRx

I have a 36” aluminum one inside front hatch ( Bass Pro ) that I can take out for bigger fish, and this 24” Aqua Deck one fwd of front hatch ....here in Georgia, trout must be 14”, Redfish 14” to 23” and Tripletail 18” or bigger , so this one serves my purpose most of the time...... see below

2D3AD532-7BE4-44C2-8F48-8A4ED48B1552.jpeg

790E8348-7598-4E63-A98C-CE7CCFAE7370.jpeg

2E393EEF-2B3D-4C03-9DAB-7E8C591ED6B4.jpeg

75FEBEC2-8614-40EA-BCD2-193B64EEC697.jpeg

44 minutes ago, triplec said:

On the gunnel. Mine is Sea Dek and spot on accurate to within 64 of an inch.

Wow that’s some tight measuring! Lol Mine was not, heck the measuring lines are 1/4” wide so I don’t see how they can be that accurate. They’re good to get close but I would not rely on them to keep me from a ticket or not. SeaDek actually had to replace the one on my boat cause it was misprinted. The 16 was 18 and I never even noticed for weeks. 

0BF3B43D-64BF-40A9-A300-F488FFFA24FD.jpeg

This is actually a good thread, but I have to admit that I initially laughed at the title.  Asking a bunch of lying fishermen to show their measuring stick was asking for some comedic replies.   

On a serious note, placing the measuring stick anywhere near the edge of the boat is asking for trouble, but frankly I havent come up with a great solution.   I love my aluminum measuring stick with the 90 degree bend in it, but I have yet to find a convenient place for it.    I would love to have it slip vertically behind the rod holder brackets, flush with the console so it could be slipped out quickly.    Just havent figured that out yet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

On a serious note, placing the measuring stick anywhere near the edge of the boat is asking for trouble, 

^^^THIS^^^

Nothing worse than losing a nice keeper fish over the side when they decide to freak out when you are trying to measure.  It especially hurts when it is your son's first keeper flounder ever!  I now measure on the lowest part of the deck, with the hook still in if possible, sometimes while still in the net; my son won't let me forget about the one that got away!  

For what it's worth, I have a Sea Deck type behind the console mounted on the vertical surface between the deck and the seat pad which I only use for a quick gauge of keeper or not.  I have an aluminum measure if I need accuracy but I rarely keep anything that is barely a keeper anyway.  I don't need that hassle, and if I have to clean a fish, I'd actually like to get a decent amount of meat from it.

2 hours ago, smilemaker said:

here is a picture of my ruler storage from the side and front. the back of the ruler has a SC DNR fish fuler with all size limits .

had been shrimping  I should have taken DonV up on weight set offer

I  tried the rotation trick but no luck

20181104_182549.jpg

20181104_182600.jpg

smilemaker, that's nice.  Did you make out of starboard?  How'd you get a tight fit?  I could only imagine if it's not in there tight, the rattling would drive me nuts while running.

22 minutes ago, quest4reds said:

^^^THIS^^^

Nothing worse than losing a nice keeper fish over the side when they decide to freak out when you are trying to measure.  It especially hurts when it is your son's first keeper flounder ever!  I now measure on the lowest part of the deck, with the hook still in if possible, sometimes while still in the net; after duct taping it down, laying on it, nailing it to the deck, and using super glue.   Really *** when it doesn't turn out to be a keeper.  my son won't let me forget about the one that got away!  

For what it's worth, I have a Sea Deck type behind the console mounted on the vertical surface between the deck and the seat pad which I only use for a quick gauge of keeper or not.  I have an aluminum measure if I need accuracy but I rarely keep anything that is barely a keeper anyway because, you know, being the rockstar fisherman that I am, I only catch fish that are double the minimum, which is particularly impressive in the case of redfish.  I don't need that hassle, and if I have to clean a fish, I'd actually like to get a decent amount of meat from it.

fixed it for you: ^^^^^^^^🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

made from starboard.  the part that holds the ruler is two  pieces. the back is the thickness you want the ruler to stand  away from the console.  the front is made from a 1/2 inch piece.  using a tablesaw you raise the blade the thickness of your ruler and make multiple kerf cuts as you move the arm over. clean up  smooth the inside and screw th two  pieces from the back.

mine just sits on deck at bottom but to be fancy on new boat you  can make a stop.

9 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

This is actually a good thread, but I have to admit that I initially laughed at the title.  Asking a bunch of lying fishermen to show their measuring stick was asking for some comedic replies.   

On a serious note, placing the measuring stick anywhere near the edge of the boat is asking for trouble, but frankly I havent come up with a great solution.   I love my aluminum measuring stick with the 90 degree bend in it, but I have yet to find a convenient place for it.    I would love to have it slip vertically behind the rod holder brackets, flush with the console so it could be slipped out quickly.    Just havent figured that out yet.

You take all the fun out of it. Beat me again. Was going to post a FUNNY. Killjoy !!! 😀👍

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Alright, here I go again playing the Devil's advocate!

These Seadek measuring tapes, I am not buying it. I see an inch line and all other lines at an 8'th inch thick? Has anyone taken an actual tape measure to ensure accuracy? I know the "man" will use his!

Just curious to see how accurate they are? 

I use my Aqua Marine Deck ( same as Seadek ) as reference only, quick glance to see if the fish goes in the cooler...when it comes to 1/4” measurements, I get out the metal Bass Pro fancy one with the 90 degree angle at the nose.....butt it , lay it flat....I’ve already had a discussion one day with a Ga DNR man about fish length and measuring devices and he won. 😲

On 8/27/2020 at 8:28 AM, whichwaysup said:

This is what most Bass boats have nowadays.  The deal is where do you mount it!!!

2100 Raptor | Bass fishing boats, Bass boat, Bass boat ideas

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 7:34 PM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Alright, here I go again playing the Devil's advocate!

These Seadek measuring tapes, I am not buying it. I see an inch line and all other lines at an 8'th inch thick? Has anyone taken an actual tape measure to ensure accuracy? I know the "man" will use his!

Just curious to see how accurate they are? 

Yup and "the man" which in one case was "the woman" measured mine and used mine to measure the fish the couple of times I got checked. Spot on. 

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2020 at 10:55 AM, RacerxV6 said:

This is what most Bass boats have nowadays.  The deal is where do you mount it!!!

I bought one exactly like this, except it's 36" long and made out of white plastic. I cut the ruler in half and put a white plastic hinge in the middle. Folded, it's 18" long and fits in most any compartment, easy to clean because it's plastic and has big numbers and marks. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

I bought one exactly like this, except it's 36" long and made out of white plastic. I cut the ruler in half and put a white plastic hinge in the middle. Folded, it's 18" long and fits in most any compartment, easy to clean because it's plastic and has big numbers and marks. 

pics?

On 8/28/2020 at 10:55 AM, RacerxV6 said:

Similar to this, I keep an aluminum measuring stick under my cooler (used as a seat in front of the console). The rubber grips lift the cooler enough to give it room to slide under. Only the angled part is exposed sitting flush against the side of the cooler. Easy to slide out when you need it and out of the way when not. if it does slip out some it is an easy toe kick to slide it back under.

F04C70BD-CC96-46FF-993B-E4EF29364059.thumb.jpeg.c9123e9291c5cf20cfb1375938eaa639.jpeg

84AD3D09-BCC0-493D-A504-B03AD867EFA2.thumb.jpeg.1fe3a425a7966d7815174110caa944e7.jpeg

I like it near the front bulk head so I can measure the fish in the cockpit. Not going to lie that once or twice a fish has given me his last great act of defiance and found his way back into the water by trying to deal with him on the deck.

F2DDDC38-4057-4255-8581-475DCAB095AE.thumb.jpeg.6b3881008ec6f9d7cc3f9bc8dcee62aa.jpeg

This was the way I had it on my RF21, same concept against the bulk head. All my boats have been with the same layout.

• Like 1