Removable Anchor Light Socket

MuddyBottomBluz

Well after looking at it getting P'off and walking away doing other things I sanded the female sockets as best I could and cleaned the male sockets as well. No go, then I decided to bend in  the female sockets and wholla! It worked! But I do not want to have to deal with this flickering every time I hit a wave, and wondering if it's on behind me. 

Just looking for a solid type, reliable piece!

Yes the two male prongs inside the socket are split. They crush and get smaller and do not make contact. Quick fix is to use a small flat screw driver and spread them apart again. I am still looking and have not found a better removable pole light.

2 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

This one works great. 

C45B6677-6AB6-4FCF-B89D-598BFB567F10.jpeg

Jazzy, Where does this style get its power. Do I have to run wires from the console to the motor?   

11 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

This one works great. 

C45B6677-6AB6-4FCF-B89D-598BFB567F10.jpeg

Reminder... Your rear anchor light must be at the highest point on your vessel in order to be 360 degree visible.  I would not be able to use a light like the one pictured as i am taller than my outboard when standing at the helm.  I would block the light if someone was approaching me from the bow.  

I have a pole light that comes out of my console.  It is about four feet or so above my head and out of my line of sight.  Knock on wood it works ever time i use it.  But i install it and try it every time i use the boat no matter if i know i wont be needing it.  This keeps the contacts clean and ready.  Also a little dielectric grease works wonders.  

I agree with Lap, it is required to be above everything else, including you or a bimini top.....................................

On power driven vessels less than 12m (39.4 ft) in length, when choosing the option to replace the masthead and stern lights with a single all round light, the most common problem is that they are mounted on a staff that is too short. Make sure the all-round light is at least 3.3 feet (1 meter) above the sidelights and is high enough to be visible from ahead in spite of the rise of the bow when underway. It should not obscured by equipment or canvas tops - even if this means having to mount it on something longer than 1 meter.

I do know, along with all of you that a tall stern light is always in the way when in use in night fishing or just in use in general. That is why I still have a removable light so it is tall enough for safety purposes and removable for when not in use.

Muddy, 

I have a buddy that runs a gheenoe a lot at night.  We wants to be seen so he runs a 10 plus foot pole with white light at the top.  It is custom made but basically the same thing you can by at WM only longer.  He bought the aluminum tubing at a metal supplier and runs wires out the bottom to alligator clips (bottom of tube is sealed with silicone).  He also runs it in a rod holder on his flats boat and hooks straight to a battery in the console.  It works every time (He looks like a tower boat running around!).  Just a thought... If your batteries are in the console nothing beats lead wire and alligator clips.  

15 hours ago, triplec said:

Hella LED. Had one for years. No contacts to sand 😆Were out early couple times a week so I use mine every trip pre dawn so no time to be fooling with removables.and she has never failed to illuminate.

Shot from this mornings run 👇

IMG_6241.jpeg

triplec, thanks.  I have one of the older ones mounted exactly where yours is but it's an older one with a light bulb that likes to wiggle out of the holder, not to mention the holder seems to be on it's last legs.  Tired of having to mess with it every time to get it just in the right position to work.   Just ordered a Hella Marine NaviLED 360 Compact 12" fold down base anchor light.

• Like 1

By the way Triplec, looks like the boat is running nice! Besides the light conversation....................................

IMG_6241.jpeg

I am liking the simple alligator clip Lap! Simple but yet reliable and quick, I have the wires run to the stern already, maybe a wing nut terminal connection?!?! Keep the socket for a holder but ensure a good connection with a terminal block??

I will keep all posted but I am liking that idea, time to play!

• Like 1