Broken bunk mounts Ameratrail

Tall Tails

41 minutes ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

Yes sir.  There are 3 "sizes" of the Fulton F2 winch, this is the largest, 3200 lb. load capacity.    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fulton--f2-manual-trailer-winches--P010305050?recordNum=1     at West Marine.  This is a 2-speed winch and in low gear, you can crank the boat up to the bow roller (as opposed to slamming into the bow roller while power loading) even while still on the ramp.

I always replace the existing winch with this model when buying a new Pathfinder.  Take the one that comes with the trailer off right away and sell it on Craig's List before it gets corroded.

Also, note the "Boat Buckle" that I installed at the bow to hold down the bow, keep it from bouncing up and down going down the road and serve as a "back up", along with the safety chain in case the winch strap fails .

461644952_LowResMissLaurieIV-6.thumb.jpg.ff719e0e49eeae51af4839d44501b659.jpg

I used to use a yellow heavy duty tie down...

115315685_Ronsnewboat003.thumb.JPG.5aa0684eb760cee46d369c3ee5a9b82b.JPG

...but the Boat Buckle looks and works slicker than the tie down.

I am not a fan of "power loading".  Slams the bow into the bow roller and dredges a hole at the end of the ramp which can become a problem for other ramp users at low tide.  Don't be embarrassed to crank the boat up to the roller while at the ramp, it can be a good workout🙂

Ron.....you sure have the boat looking fantastic. !

On 9/7/2020 at 5:40 PM, Ron in Atlanta said:

I know this is a little off topic, but does the 2500 trailer come with a two-speed winch?

587560512_LowResMissLaurieIV-6.thumb.jpg.da99fcaeec82b20199c914c6b7d0d829.jpg

I added one and in "low" gear, I can winch the 2200 TRS the last foot or two even while on a steep ramp.

Two speed winches are offered as an option on all their trailers. 

1 hour ago, bernieNC said:

Two speed winches are offered as an option on all their trailers. 

I recall that fact from when I was speaking with my dealer about purchasing the boat.  If I recall correctly, that "option" of a 2-speed winch cost way more than the $175.00 that West Marine charges for a 2-speed winch.  I went with the West Marine option.

When I power load I do not slam into the bow roller. I never even touch it. Perhaps a "modified" power load is what I do. I drive onto the trailer until it slides to a stop on the front bunks then, leaving the motor in gear, I hook up the winch and pull it up the last foot or so with assistance from the outboard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

I recall that fact from when I was speaking with my dealer about purchasing the boat.  If I recall correctly, that "option" of a 2-speed winch cost way more than the $175.00 that West Marine charges for a 2-speed winch.  I went with the West Marine option.

Maybe it’s a better winch?

On 9/9/2020 at 1:31 PM, Tall Tails said:

When I power load I do not slam into the bow roller. I never even touch it. Perhaps a "modified" power load is what I do. I drive onto the trailer until it slides to a stop on the front bunks then, leaving the motor in gear, I hook up the winch and pull it up the last foot or so with assistance from the outboard. 

That is typically what I do too. 

The 2 speed Fulton winch is rated at 3,200 lbs.  Nice product. 

Dutton Lainson is the standard winch on my 2500 Hybrid trailer.  I need to look at the rating of that specific model.  DL makes a 2 speed, 3,500 lb rated winch.  That 2,500 Hybrid is a heavy hull.  Dutton Lainson is also the standard winch on SportTrail trailers.

• 3 weeks later...

Though I was told that Ameratrail was informed of this issue and that I should expect someone to reach out....it never happened. No matter because I had it repaired and it wasn't under warranty. As an aside, I saw a new 25 or 26 PF trailer at the ramp recently and it appears that Ameratrail added an extra brace to those mounts. So the new boat owners shouldn't have a problem. For those of you with 2017, 18, 19 and perhaps 2020 Ameratrail trailers you should watch those areas for failure. They wouldn't have modified it if there wasn't a known issue. It would have been nice for them to reach out and let us know to keep an eye on those areas. IMO that's just good customer service. 

On 10/1/2020 at 6:31 PM, Tall Tails said:

Though I was told that Ameratrail was informed of this issue and that I should expect someone to reach out....it never happened. No matter because I had it repaired and it wasn't under warranty. As an aside, I saw a new 25 or 26 PF trailer at the ramp recently and it appears that Ameratrail added an extra brace to those mounts. So the new boat owners shouldn't have a problem. For those of you with 2017, 18, 19 and perhaps 2020 Ameratrail trailers you should watch those areas for failure. They wouldn't have modified it if there wasn't a known issue. It would have been nice for them to reach out and let us know to keep an eye on those areas. IMO that's just good customer service. 

Ameratrail is aware of my 19'- Dealer found a weld that failed as well as the crack in one of the mounts I found after your post on FB. Hoping they come up with a solution soon before it comes apart & the other mounts fail.    

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 1:31 PM, Tall Tails said:

I use about the same method when I'm solo.  Keeping it in gear holds the boat straight on the trailer, between the guide posts, just long enough to hook-up the winch and take the slack out.  Then cut off the motor, tilt up, step off the bow and crank the winch until it touches the stop.  You don't even have to get your feet wet.

33 minutes ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

You actually get out of the boat with the motor in gear!!???  

What could possibly go wrong.

Nothing if you are careful.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:32 PM, Ron in Atlanta said:

You actually get out of the boat with the motor in gear!!???  

What could possibly go wrong.

Nothing and it's a very common practice here. It's already 3/4 of the way up the trailer and isn't going to move any more until winch pressure is applied. 

• Like 1