What Hose is Everyone Using for Saltwater Washdown

SevvyD

I swapped to the expandable on the advice of Capt Davis (I’m pretty sure that’s where I got the idea), it’s great. I keep it looped around the forward under gunnel rod holder, after I spray off the deck I’ll turn the pump off, release the pressure and hang the nozzle in the aft holder, it shrinks up around the holders and off the deck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bernieNC said:

I have always likes a coiled 25’ hose. I also prefer to stick with the cheap all plastic trigger nozzles and stash an extra somewhere on board. Metal on nozzles is not good bouncing  or dropped on the boat deck.

Thanks. I'm with you on the plastic nozzle - have that already. Was just wondering how the coil works when you're out with multiple people on board. Does it stay tucked out of the way?

21 hours ago, jason p said:

I swapped to the expandable on the advice of Capt Davis (I’m pretty sure that’s where I got the idea), it’s great. I keep it looped around the forward under gunnel rod holder, after I spray off the deck I’ll turn the pump off, release the pressure and hang the nozzle in the aft holder, it shrinks up around the holders and off the deck. 

Thanks.  So the expandable shrinks up good when not in use? Trying to figure out a solution that doesn't take up a lot of deck space.

On 9/1/2020 at 6:12 PM, Miss Jazzy said:

Funny you ask. I just bought one yesterday. I put one of the 25’ expandable hoses in place of the self coiling. The coil hose always gets hung up on something and is a pain in the a**. These expandable is not suppose to kink. They roll up pretty small. I’ll be trying it out this weekend to see how it goes. 

Thanks. Let us know how it works out this weekend.

44 minutes ago, SevvyD said:

Thanks. I'm with you on the plastic nozzle - have that already. Was just wondering how the coil works when you're out with multiple people on board. Does it stay tucked out of the way?

It pretty much stays coiled up right up against the rear bulk head. It is a “fixture” that I don’t really notice, but it is there (if that makes sense). I never take mine off and turn on the pump as soon as I get in the boat. Use it all the time.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, SevvyD said:

Thanks.  So the expandable shrinks up good when not in use? Trying to figure out a solution that doesn't take up a lot of deck space.

It does. My 2500 has a bulkhead fitting on the aft inside bulkhead so it shrinks up around the front rod holder and then I double it back so the nozzle hangs on the aft holder, everything off the deck and under the gunnel. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the factory installed outlet/discharge for the washdown on the bulkhead of the rear deck, near the gunnel. That was a pain in the azz for me. Couldn't find a place to keep the hose while connected to the outlet. So, I ran a longer hose from the washdown pump to the rear/port compartment. Works perfect!! I open the door to the compartment, turn on the pump, stretch the hose, wash down, turn pump off, drain hose and drop back into compartment. I use a 20 ft. expandable hose with plastic nozzle. Get the expandable hose with plastic fittings, brass will start to corrode and attach itself to the threaded couplings. 

I bgt one for my bigger boat. it is self coiling and is 50ft long and when coiled fits easily in a regular size plastic bucket.  I wish  I had found out about them 15yrs ago.  It works like a charm and doesn't get stuck on cleats or hatches or anything.  Just make sure you don't leave it with the water pressure on in the sun.