Ode to the Poling Platform

whichwaysup

I had a poling platform on mine for a few years.  It was my son's spot.  He would see fish long before I would.  Now that he is off living his life, I have removed it.  Poling from it...I do not think so, but it is a great observation spot.

When I fish alone, I chuckle that I have a 22' boat, but only use the first 2'!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I had a poling platform on a pioneer cape island. It was built stout and had a ski pylon attached to it. The kids would line up to jump off of it into the lake. It sat way back over the motor so i reminded them to jump out .. no flips nothing crazy.. they loved it. 
   Also great for my buddy when we fished he was always sitting or standing on that platform. 

• Like 1

Many years ago like around 1994 , I had a Key West 17’ STEALTH..with a good sized poling platform on it, ...my son and daughter thought it was a diving platform...they had many good times in that boat....but spent most of their time jumping off the platform and climbing back up the ladder....it was indeed prime real estate for them.  Once my son got interested in fishing, he would be the one casting from the platform at our trout drops. The boat was a beast to pole because it had such a wide beam and was heavy...not to mention the Johnson 150 hanging off the back. I sold it to a neighbor and bought a Maverick MA17 which was a much better ride and easier to pole. 

However....we ( wife ) found this boat too small for family outings and that’s when we bought our first Pathfinder 2400. I have been through several Pathfinders ever since...and currently have a PF 2200. No more poling though....I’m good with the Minn Kota.  JJ

• Like 3

Had a platform on my Redfisher and enjoyed many days poling buddies around.  Just got 'new to me' Pathfinder came with a platform.  No way I plan to pole this hull.  Well built Birdsall platform, has rod holders, light - that seems normal, AND a plate for a 'bass' seat.  I was told the previous owner's son like to sit way up high in his seat on the platform.  I bring the boat home last week, thinking remove the platform since I'm not going to pole.. my buddy says keep, I read messages on here - keep!  Not about poling, just has so many other uses.     Enjoyed the story WhichWays :)   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johnd said:

Had a platform on my Redfisher and enjoyed many days poling buddies around.  Just got 'new to me' Pathfinder came with a platform.  No way I plan to pole this hull.  Well built Birdsall platform, has rod holders, light - that seems normal, AND a plate for a 'bass' seat.  I was told the previous owner's son like to sit way up high in his seat on the platform.  I bring the boat home last week, thinking remove the platform since I'm not going to pole.. my buddy says keep, I read messages on here - keep!  Not about poling, just has so many other uses.     Enjoyed the story WhichWays :)   

John, it was that pick of your pathy that prompted me to think of this.  You will love that platform.  If mothing else, its a cool looking spoiler for your sled!

• Thanks 1

We never outgrow King of the Mountain.

I have one for my 20' PF, but I haven't installed it yet.  It came from a 1900 so it requires minor modification.  I use a remote control trolling motor, so I have visions of running it from up there, when working the bank.  The rest of the time, we drift the flats so it would work fine.

• Like 1

I’ve got one on my 2016 2200 TRS and love it. Kids love it too. It feel very natural and provides a great spot to sight fish from and dive off of. Yeh, I can’t see me truly polling but I did it once in a pinch and yes it was a beast and I could never poll for long or with anything other than a slight current or wind. Had it done at the factory by one of the guys that does the ones for the Hewes. Here is a pic of the sea trial by the dealer prior to delivery. 

714DED36-354E-4CF4-AD9D-E4CF50294A05.png

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I am curious about actually poling a 20' pathfinder.  

My teenage son wants to put one on ours since I won't buy a second smaller skiff.  Is it even possible to pole this for more than very short distances?  I have tried to pole from the bow but it's too unweildy.  And I have to remove the trolling motor.  

It's pretty expensive to put on a poling platform as I have to have one made.  But it's less expensive than a new skiff.  And I don't want a tiny boat like that for my purposes.

I have poled my 21 MA plenty. Your not gonna do it very far or against much current or wind.

I have been able to get close with the trolling motor and then make short moves or adjustments when on a school of reds. Much more stealth than the trolling motor. You not gonna go far very fast but you need to be going slow and easy to begin with.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

I have poled my 21 MA plenty. Your not gonna do it very far or against much current or wind.

I have been able to get close with the trolling motor and then make short moves or adjustments when on a school of reds. Much more stealth than the trolling motor. You not gonna go far very fast but you need to be going slow and easy to begin with.

This ^^^^^^   (Obviously, Troy's a guide and does this for a living, so his comment is going to trump anything I say, but to pile on:)  

In the right conditions, you could probably pole a 24' pathfinder for short distances and slowly.   It's just a matter of how often, far, and where you are going to do it.   With a remote controlled TM up front, I just use the pole for surgical strikes once I know I'm in the right general zip code of the fish.   But don't underestimate the other value of the platform.   Being up high, you see more, even when you aren't on the pole.   Sometimes, you're trolling along using the TM and you see a fish spook from the noise, kill the TM and start your workout.   The other big benefit is that yo are going to turn your 20 Pathfinder into a 22 footer - All that space around the engine that, today, isn't usable will generally have a kid on it, opening up the rest of the boat for more elbow room.       

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whichwaysup said:

This ^^^^^^   (Obviously, Troy's a guide and does this for a living, so his comment is going to trump anything I say, but to pile on:)  

In the right conditions, you could probably pole a 24' pathfinder for short distances and slowly.   It's just a matter of how often, far, and where you are going to do it.   With a remote controlled TM up front, I just use the pole for surgical strikes once I know I'm in the right general zip code of the fish.   But don't underestimate the other value of the platform.   Being up high, you see more, even when you aren't on the pole.   Sometimes, you're trolling along using the TM and you see a fish spook from the noise, kill the TM and start your workout.   The other big benefit is that yo are going to turn your 20 Pathfinder into a 22 footer - All that space around the engine that, today, isn't usable will generally have a kid on it, opening up the rest of the boat for more elbow room.       

I used to pole a big heavy 24 Privateer. When you have a school of reds 50 strong with a hundred eyes and ears 50 feet out of casting range that trolling motor can send them into the next zip code. Couple of strokes with the pole can quietly slip you into range.