Yamaha 115 4-Stroke issue- sputtering

C-Los

could be something as simple as hairline cracks in any of the fuel hoses. I found a tiny crack in the hose connected to my fuel tank that would only cause issues when running...enough to keep it from even priming. You could also take apart your carbs and give them a good cleaning and replace the gaskets (you can get them cheap from ebay, amazon, etc). I couldn't get my old 130 to go above 2400rpm...would just bog down and narrowed it down to fuel issue. Did the carb take-down/clean route and it runs like a champ...also, might want to pull your fuel filter off and check it for gunk...

Check for hairline cracks in the engine-mounted fuel filter's plastic housing. You'll need to pump the primer bulb while checking for fuel seeping out. The cracks are difficult to see with just a visual inspection. If the cracks exist, they allow air to be sucked into the fuel system at that point.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:11 PM, C-Los said:

Hi all, 

I'm having an issue with my 4-stoke its sputtering for about 15 minutes, wont let me know get over 3100 RPM. Then after 15 minutes is works fine and runs fine all day. Could it be plugs or air in the line?  

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

what year is the motor?

dc

• 3 weeks later...

Have you replaced the mechanical fuel pump, ever? It’s basically a mechanical lift pump that fills your VST so the high pressure pump can push fuel to the injectors. It’s an old school diaphragm pump and if the diaphragms get brittle they develop slight cracks and become inefficient. If you have someone with you have them drive and pin it, reach back and squeeze the primer ball, if it picks up rpm than that’s probably the issue.  

• 2 months later...