Tricks or Tips for Rigging Tube Access

Mike45q

Ok I am frustrated I have tried my tricks to try to get some replacement wiring thru my rigging tube. The last time work was done the mechanic did not leave the original rope For pulling wire thru the rigging tube. I tried a electric fish cable and dryer vent cleaning rods. The fish cable was not rigid enough and dryer vent cleaning rods were blocked. Need some new ideas tricks to try.  How do others do it.

Thanks in Advance

Mike

6 hours ago, HoneyB said:

In the electrical area at big box stores the sell thin fiberglass poles used to drill down walls... run from the back it might make it it to where u turn up under the console ... 

yes...i've used this before....

6 hours ago, smooth move said:

find an existing wire that can be replaced and tie the new wires and it's replacement to it and pull all thru at once.. use a wire lubricant.

yes, another good idea

I found that by grabbing and shaking the wiring in the harness it helps..

Also, the best lubricant I've used is DAWN liquid soap....

The other special trick - is "cursing in advance to beginning" it scares the wires in the chase into working with you :)

dc

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike45q said:

Ok I am frustrated I have tried my tricks to try to get some replacement wiring thru my rigging tube. The last time work was done the mechanic did not leave the original rope For pulling wire thru the rigging tube. I tried a electric fish cable and dryer vent cleaning rods. The fish cable was not rigid enough and dryer vent cleaning rods were blocked. Need some new ideas tricks to try.  How do others do it.

Thanks in Advance

Mike

I’ve used a cheap from Home Depot “ plumbing snake “ and it works, the handle turns the coiled spring and it works like an auger twisting it’s way through.  It also works on clogged drain lines in the house. 😎

13 hours ago, smooth move said:

find an existing wire that can be replaced and tie the new wires and it's replacement to it and pull all thru at once.. use a wire lubricant.

If you cant find an existing wire you want to replace i would look for a used OMC , morse or yamaha shift cable and use the inner stainless cable.  Its all i use.  They are amazing for pushing thru rigging tubes.  

Also try going from either end.  Sometimes they want to go in from the transom side.  

• Like 2

i have so much stuff that my rigging tube is packed.

Easier to just use a metal fish tape or the fiberglass rods that screw together and go straight back on top of gas tank into the bilge. The wire can then be free. I like it this way for the transducer as it is no longer running side by side with a bunch of electrical wires. This is on an 04 22 TE

Yep, pulling new wire through the rigging tube in a pain in the azz. When the factory pulls the wires through the rigging tube, the wires are bundled together with elect. zip ties. This is why it's so hard to get anything through there, you keep getting hung up on the zip ties. Even if you get a fish tape or plumbing snake through there, the wire will be difficult to pull. Dawn or Vaseline and lots of it is your friend. You also need to stagger your wires where they connect to the fish tape, plumbing snake or rope. Try to make the leading end of the wires sort of bullet shaped, using electrical tape or even duct tape. 

When you get ready to pull the wire, try to get help. You need a puller and pusher. When you get hung up, have the other person pull back a few inches, then try pulling again. It's never easy. As smilemaker said, running your transducer cable down the middle of the boat is a good idea. It's easier and reduces interference.