Paint Fading

campbellt3

I am close to putting down a deposit on a new Pathfinder 2200 TRS. I am having a hard time deciding on the exterior color, but will go with whisper grey or haze grey. Would the lighter whisper grey color be easier to maintain? Would haze grey be more difficult? I see heavily oxidized navy blue boats often enough to give me concern, but I do not recall seeing a dark gray boat that has faded that way. Is it because the dark grey colors are easier to maintain or because grey colors have become popular more recently and have not been around long enough to show wear yet. 

Any input would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Campbelt3, the first thing I did was order a cover for my Hewes, As Florida is hell on boats and UV protection. I found my cover at Carver boat covers online and it took a week to receive but it fit perfectly, 10 year warranty, highest UV rating and most importantly was cheaper then any local cover maker in Jax! It’s great your planning and thinking BEFORE you purchase a new one! I’m anal on caring for my boat and glad to see others are.....David. 
P.S. This cover has been through 1 Hurricane and 1 tropical storm and held up great! Secondly it’s also trailerable 

Gelcoat will fade faster than Marine paints. However, paint is not good for small boat hull/deck surfaces in the long run.

Gelcoat is easier to keep looking new. Scratches come out easily. Stains come out easier.

Like everybody has said, protect the gelcoat with wax, and keep it covered.

Lifts complicate the matter.

MM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Moderator said:

Gelcoat will fade faster than Marine paints. However, paint is not good for small boat hull/deck surfaces in the long run.

Gelcoat is easier to keep looking new. Scratches come out easily. Stains come out easier.

Like everybody has said, protect the gelcoat with wax, and keep it covered.

Lifts complicate the matter.

MM

Why not good on small boat hulls, decks. What is small too you. Just asking.

3 hours ago, campbellt3 said:

Great suggestion.

I've seen covers with solar powered fans to help move the air around. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth the cost?

Some guys use fans, but I'm don't like anything running or using electricity in my boat on a continuous basis. Sooner or later you'll have some type of failure and could cause a fire. I have a full cover on my 23 HPS with three vents. Same cover also covers the motor. There is a big gap on both sides where the motor and transom connect. These gaps allow plenty of fresh air to enter and be exhausted out of the vents. 

I would also suggest a cover that comes down over the sides of the boat to protect the gelcoat 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Some guys use fans, but I'm don't like anything running or using electricity in my boat on a continuous basis. Sooner or later you'll have some type of failure and could cause a fire. I have a full cover on my 23 HPS with three vents. Same cover also covers the motor. There is a big gap on both sides where the motor and transom connect. These gaps allow plenty of fresh air to enter and be exhausted out of the vents. 

I would also suggest a cover that comes down over the sides of the boat to protect the gelcoat 

Great suggestions, I will do the same. Thank you.

Cambellt3, I know everyone here uses different companies for tops but I highly recommend Carver boat tops. ( you can find them on the web) You just tell them what year, what kind of boat, T tops or platforms. They will also install vents. They have every color you could imagine as well as different thickness of material. ( the heavier the material the longer the warranty). They typically ship within 1 week and yes these covers are trailer able. I’ve had mine for 2 years and perfect fit ( all the way from the bow and up and over my rear platform AND motor And power pole. Plus it covers the sides.Its been through 1 hurricane and a couple of tropical storms and held up great!....David

PS... They are also affordable for your average boat owner!

If you have a good guy to shoot Awl Grip the color will last for many years .  I had my 32ft Lobster boat ,a Wilbur, shot with Flag blue Navy 15 yrs ago and it looks like it was done last year.  Don't fear darker colors fading  with AWL Grip.  BTW I bgt the boat new with the same  color in gel coat and it was done,faded in 5 yrs. You'll be happy with recoating the boat with  the color in whatever color suits you.  Good luck. 

• Thanks 1