1999 yamaha 90tlrx overcharging on Bonefisher

JPH

While running the volts on the gauge creep up to 16v?? I went ahead and replaced the regulator/rectifier. The battery is a new sealed cranking battery after running today it was at 13.2v ? Going to hook up a voltmeter tomorrow while running to confirm gauge is not the issue. Is there anything else I should be checking? 

IMG_20200804_172925_819.jpg

8 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

most agm batteries will take upper end off 14.4 to 14.6 volts. from what i have read over the years never go over 15 volts  13.2 would be on the lower end of the range from an outboard. have seen low 14 from my 200 hpdi but not often 

So it is ok for it to be charging at 16v while running ? Thanks for the info 

2 minutes ago, imsnookyrd said:

I would say no, charging voltage should be in the mid 14v range.  Battery should be around 13 or so with engine off, 12.8 usually means a fully charged battery.

That's what I am worried about , that it will end up over charging and ruining the battery. Any thoughts on what to check ? I thought maybe the battery was wrong. I read somewhere that yamaha does not reccomend maintenance free batteries because they may not be compatible with charging system. However a mechanic I spoke with said that it was highly unlikely.

2034375688_ScreenShot2020-09-20at9_17_04AM.thumb.png.deb0acdf0661bd4f907831ea1008bed0.png

AGMS are not to be used on the older two strokes...

1 hour ago, JPH said:

However a mechanic I spoke with said that it was highly unlikely.

I would suspect if you ask any 5 star Yamaha mechanic, they will or should support that you should only use water sealed with the appropriate reserve capacity for charging.

1 hour ago, JPH said:

I read somewhere that yamaha does not reccomend maintenance free batteries because they may not be compatible with charging system. However a mechanic

Go to the DEKA battery site...they specifically have recommendations from Yamaha - see above

I have a 1995 MA17 with a 1995 115 two stroke - I used, based upon the recommendation of my mechanic who presented this table to me, an Interstate battery water sealed, group 24.

dc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

2034375688_ScreenShot2020-09-20at9_17_04AM.thumb.png.deb0acdf0661bd4f907831ea1008bed0.png

AGMS are not to be used on the older two strokes...

I would suspect if you ask any 5 star Yamaha mechanic, they will or should support that you should only use water sealed with the appropriate reserve capacity for charging.

Go to the DEKA battery site...they specifically have recommendations from Yamaha - see above

I have a 1995 MA17 with a 1995 115 two stroke - I used, based upon the recommendation of my mechanic who presented this table to me, an Interstate battery water sealed, group 24.

dc

Ok so I misspoke, it is a flooded battery but a maintenance free. Its 24M5 https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--flooded-marine-starting-battery-650mca-group-24--15020092 which looks like it is only recommended when using two batteries? Per the 24m5 216 option.. so I should still switch out the battery for an option that is not maintenance free or to be used in parallel ? 

The reserve  capacity is only 90 which could affect the charging and starting.

Personally, I would go to an interstate dealer (Boat Owners Warehouse is one or a dealer) and get a series 24.....Link to interstate battery

So, for $120, you can rest assured you have the correct battery.

If you want to put the 2nd battery on a 1-2-all switch, you'll be 100% secure on the water....

dc

• Like 1

"Going to hook up a voltmeter tomorrow while running to confirm gauge is not the issue"

I would do this first, before spending any money or changing anything. You may not have any problem at all. Running voltage ( alternator output voltage) should be measured at the battery. If you confirm over charging get it fixed....before replacing battery

6 hours ago, smilemaker said:

most agm batteries will take upper end off 14.4 to 14.6 volts. from what i have read over the years never go over 15 volts  13.2 would be on the lower end of the range from an outboard. have seen low 14 from my 200 hpdi but not often 

Use Smilemaker's numbers as a guide, agm or wet cell.

I have used Wet cell, Gel cell and AGM batteries on all kinds of old and new outboards. The only advantage or disadvantage I have ever seen is longevity. Over charging will kill any battery.

6 hours ago, fin-addict said:

13.2 is fine.

Meaning at rest, or no charge current and would be fine as low as 12 volts, depending on prior charge state. 

Confirm you have a problem, then if replacement is needed go with posted recommendations.

Hope this helps you to not get carried away by info overload.

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

The reserve  capacity is only 90 which could affect the charging and starting.

Personally, I would go to an interstate dealer (Boat Owners Warehouse is one or a dealer) and get a series 24.....Link to interstate battery

So, for $120, you can rest assured you have the correct battery.

If you want to put the 2nd battery on a 1-2-all switch, you'll be 100% secure on the water....

dc

Thank you,

It already has a switch and is wired for a second battery in the bow. However I am planning on putting a 24v trolling motor on it and Thinking 4 batteries would be alot of extra weight and space.. 

35 minutes ago, jh141 said:

"Going to hook up a voltmeter tomorrow while running to confirm gauge is not the issue"

I would do this first, before spending any money or changing anything. You may not have any problem at all. Running voltage ( alternator output voltage) should be measured at the battery. If you confirm over charging get it fixed....before replacing battery

Use Smilemaker's numbers as a guide, agm or wet cell.

I have used Wet cell, Gel cell and AGM batteries on all kinds of old and new outboards. The only advantage or disadvantage I have ever seen is longevity. Over charging will kill any battery.

Meaning at rest, or no charge current and would be fine as low as 12 volts, depending on prior charge state. 

Confirm you have a problem, then if replacement is needed go with posted recommendations.

Hope this helps you to not get carried away by info overload.

Thank you,

I think this is the best route. I am going to do this and go from there. From what I am seeing it sits right at 12.6vto 13 v at rest. When I first start running it slowly creeps up to 16v after 10-15 mins of running but will stay at around 15.8v with lights on. This is all per tach. I am easily excitable haha and need to take a step back sometimes. Thanks for advice. 

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

You can hook up a 1/2 all switch to your trolling motor batteries...you can keep the extra battery as a back up...

you can go with Optima AGMS for reduced weight for your TM

have fun fiddling with the skiff...

dc

I like this idea. Thanks !!