Trolling Motor Skewer

NCTribute

20 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

Yes. I have to do the same. Even if I could get my fingers on it I can’t pull mine out. It’s very tight. I have to beat mine back in with a hammer. Might could use some slick’em. 

Wonder if you could get a drill bit just a hair larger and drill just the quick release block or take some wax paper and wipe the prongs....that should allow it to slide easier....scratch the drill bit idea...

2 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

Yes. I have to do the same. Even if I could get my fingers on it I can’t pull mine out. It’s very tight. I have to beat mine back in with a hammer. Might could use some slick’em. 

Try loosening up the mounting bolts and look for gaps, had the same issue on my last boat, mounting surface was not flat and it was distorting the mount. Added a shim to the low spot and no binding after that.

• Like 1

I have zero issues getting mine in and out, but I can imagine some of those spring steel skewers could be tough.  Just a suggestion for an option, if you could find a small SS wire round lock pin (Google for pic, I have issues attaching), that should be easier to get in and out.  They have them at hardware stores.  Home Depot has them but in 1/4" dia by 2" length, a bit long but it may work. 

13 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Wonder if you could get a drill bit just a hair larger and drill just the quick release block or take some was paper and wipe the prongs....that should allow it to slide easier....scratch the drill bit idea...

Used a extra long 1/4 inch drill on mine to smooth out the holes which did the trick.

3 hours ago, polliwog said:

I did something different, I put a small brass padlock on.  It won't deter  a serious thief,but it isn't going anywhere.  Have had it on for 5yrs. Keep the key on the boat keys ring.  I don't take the troller off during the season,but it does sit in a slip. 

I did the same thing for when I went on vacation and towed the boat.  I have a little brass lock coated in black rubberized coating. But I use it daily instead of the hairpin clip