Selfish suggestion for all of us

geeviam

Yep, a section of my neighborhood has a small lake that is private to those whose lots are on it. A few guys have permission to fish it from a land owner and post on a local site. Keep telling them to just say a private pond/lake rather than naming it, several of the land owners I know have said the trespassing keeps getting worse and worse, well no wonder if people keep posting pictures of big bass and numbers. 

Also know of people posting fake reports about areas, just to get them to go there and reduce the people where they actually are fishing.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2020 at 12:17 PM, geeviam said:

With so many of us who are anxious and willing to share knowledge and experience with others, we may need to take a deep breath and a step back and think about what is happening as a result.  All the best kept secrets are vanishing.  That favorite peaceful and quiet spot you used to go to is now noisy and overrun with crowds of people.  You now have to share your best fishing spots with a half dozen other boats.  You now have to deal with a circus at your favorite boat ramp, and pray you can find a parking spot.

I'm not sure I agree with you that sharing on fishing forums and facebook is resulting in a change of enjoyment or vanishing spots.

Several factors have taken place - 1.) FMT has completely changed how the back country and shallow water fishing takes place.  Used to be, unless you are a human GPS like Conocean who has 25 years experience of running the 10k's, very few would navigate into areas unknown

The COVID has fundamentally changed our lives for now and I feel, into the next 2-4 years.  Thousands - NO, Millions and Millions of $ are being spent in the USA vs abroad on vacations and other activities. Try and rent a RV or a house / Condo in the mountains - NO WAY unless you booked 6 months ago.  Boat sales skyrocket - Truck sales the same as people upgrade to pull trailers etc.

On this forum, and for the most part, information given here is fairly selective, or given in a PM for details....we all know in Chokoloskee, look for clean running water on a point.  There are not many specifics given other than DIY info.  

Mass media and fishing shows also have contributed....used to be you'd wait for Sunday morning to see your favorite - now, you just go on line and watch 100's of hours of CA Anderson, Mogan Man, rick murphy, the list goes on....people have begun to enjoy this past time and as many offshore anglers get older (I'm one) you can't take the hardcore pounding of a day on the water let alone the $$$ for an off shore trip these days....

I think this will cycle through in the next few years....and when it does, you'll see a plethora of boats, probably 3+ years old for sale as the owners will be upside down on their 10+ year loans, probably in nice shape from minimal use and stored in a garage....Don't know if I'll ever sell my mistress the Holy Ghost (only paid $11K for her) and she got new shoes (Ameratrail)....but, there will be some bargins...at least that my prediction.

So, long post....enjoy the sport....and I think we all need to remember, we were all newbies at one time..and I was anxious for knowledge and this forum has been one of my favorite sites to meet new friends and help others with DIY......I was a newbie for sure.thus my name Wanaflatsfish from my first RF18 in 2003.

dc

• Like 1

I gotta admit, Dino practices what he is preaching. He sold me his old Garmin GPS with his tracks from Choko still on it. However he did say something I am still confused about, something about "good luck, maybe you'll get lucky and catch fish on those spots"?!o.O

Now when I bought Coto's old GPS for my Jon boat he cleaned that sucker out and put back all the factory defaults, everything!!:o

• Like 1

Amen! I consider this site as a place to learn as well as meet others that share our love for fishing. No I won’t give numbers but I’d be glad to take anyone here out for a day of fun fishing!.....David

I agree that we should be careful of what we put on social media, I'll go so far as to say very careful with personal information.  I'm sure this is information that is already known, but things like posting that you are on vacation or planning a trip out of town including dates is a bad idea.  Posting names of children or spouse or pets can also be used against you.  Posting where you work or where you live can be detrimental as well.  I won't go into it any more, but I'll say this: It is terribly frightening, infuriating even, when a complete stranger can tell you about where you live, whether you're married or single, if you have kids, how many, ages, sexes, their names and even where you live based on open source information found on social media.  I have experienced this and it took everything I had not to fly across the table and strangle this person.  This type of information can, and does get people killed.

As the OP mentioned, giving tips and techniques for others to try, or mentioning a product that has worked well for you, or giving a shout out to a company that offered you amazing customer service all seem to be harmless.  It may have some second and third order affects like a higher demand for a product so you may have to look harder to find one in stock or perhaps pay a slightly higher price.  But I also feel that certain details should be left out, such as locations, names and dates.  I have had several experiences where a good fishing report seemed to lead to others being on a spot or a drastic increase in netters in the area.  For those reasons, I leave locations and dates out of my reports.  A reader may be able to tell the general time of year it was or that I was fishing in stained water from the pics but that would be about it.  I may slip and mention 'yesterday' or 'last week' in my report so one could pinpoint a date, but the location would be a mystery as I don't mention it, and I also crop my pics so there are no unique features that may identify the spot.  I don't ask for spots, I want to earn them.  I'm not saying I won't ask for general areas to try or a technique that works on a certain body of water that may be new to me, but I ask in private.

The long and the short of it is, I think the OP has the right idea.  Be conscious of what information we put out, and be aware that it can't be taken back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quest4reds said:

I won't go into it any more, but I'll say this: It is terribly frightening, infuriating even, when a complete stranger can tell you about where you live, whether you're married or single, if you have kids, how many, ages, sexes, their names and even where you live based on open source information found on social media. 

many years ago I was a expert witness in a law suit....the opposing counsel researched my facebook page....

Let me just say, within one hour of that deposition I deleted my account and just rejoined and I have no friends and limited posts to be able to search and lurk fishing stuff...it was a unique awaking of what a lawyer will do to denigrate your testimony.....interestingly, we won the case....

FOUR words won it for my client in the arbitration - FIT FOR INTENDED USE :)

DC

• Like 1

13 hours ago, quest4reds said:

I agree that we should be careful of what we put on social media, I'll go so far as to say very careful with personal information. 

I made a mistake of having a sole proprietorship as an A/C contractor and then when workman comp. laws changed I became a corporation in Florida. I had to use my house as the business address because I had a home office, they would not accept P.O. boxes, etc. they wanted a physical address.  Big mistake! I closed the business 13 years ago but the Florida DBPR has it on their site for all to see, just by a google search of my name. Now that I work for the county they put my information on-line, where I work, salary, my phone numbers, etc. because I am a "Public Servant". and all this is "public information". If someone googled my name (if you have not googled yourself, try it, you might be suprised ) they would have enough information from 1-1/2 pages of information about me to steal my identity.

Got that @$$h0le neighbor down the street that speeds in front of your house, go the the property appraisers web-site for your county, find out who owns the house, their names, then google them. Are you a thief and like that vet that Joe Pretty boy drives, look up his name as well and chances are 90% of the time you will be provided an address of where that person lives and all people related to them and where that vet is parked! Our privacy is pretty much no longer ours. I do not have any on-line accounts like Facebook, Tik-Tok, Tweeter, etc. but you can still know all about me by searching on-line! 

• Like 1

Tweeter😄 I don’t want to turn this into a THT political rant, this forum means too much to many of us, including me for that, so nobody get upset please. For some background I spent 23 years active duty in the military with the last 13 years, 2002-2015 involved fairly heavily in the Global War on Terror, at home and abroad, mostly abroad though. We did lots of R&D with private companies and OGAs in the intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance field which led to advancements in a lot of handy things like PLBs, ePIRBS, etc... so I think I can speak somewhat intelligently on information gathering on micro and macro levels. The fact of the matter, well not fact but my opinion based on experience is, the cats out of the bag as Capt. Troy alluded to earlier and if you’re truly worried about your information being “out there” (which I’m personally not because I believe there’s nothing I can do about it) than Facebook maybe, should be the least of your worries. It doesn’t take more than a quick gander at the Patriot Act, it’s 132 pages (I wish I didn’t know that little fact) to see where you really stand on privacy, civil liberties, etc...

Again I don’t really care either way and the Patriot Act was passed, upheld, and continues to be extended by both parties for 19 years and still going strong, I think, I don’t really pay attention to anything but my son and moon phases nowadays. I’m just offering up a little different perspective from a different set of experiences, not trying to freak anyone out. Now if you have some time to kill and really want to freak out...

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/united-states-of-secrets/

https://www.congress.gov/107/plaws/publ56/PLAW-107publ56.pdf