new 25 hybrid questions

Fisherman

Hello guys, i am getting my 4th boat from Maverick boat company.  I started with a 16 hewes, move to 18 hewes, and then to a 22 pathfinder TE that I would say it was an amazing great boat overall. Never had an issue with the boat after 10 years of use.  

I just placed an order for a 25 Pathf. 

and would like your advice on the following.

STEREO: (fusion vs JL?) 

minnkota trolling motor? auto deployment or manual?

Anchor: what weight or model to buy?

any other thing i should consider?

Fisherman,

Congratulations on ordering a new  2500 Hybrid. I also placed an order for a new 2500 Hybrid a couple of weeks ago.

I can not help you with your choice of stereo, but I selected a 72" Rhodan for my trolling motor since the 36V Rhodan have slightly higher trust than Minnkota.

I have used the original sea claw anchor on my Patfinder 2200 TE and will definitely get one for my 2500 Hybrid.

Here is the link to the original Sea Claw anchor web-site  http://seaclaw.com/#:~:text=The Original SeaClaw Anchor is the best lightweight,with our 3%2F8" anchor line and hardware kits.

Can't help you with stereo, I don't listen to music when I fish.

Like Reelhooked I have the Rhodan. 72" 36V. Their service is phenomenal. 

I have used standard danforths with good results but all that steel right next to my trolling motor was causing it to do some strange things. I bought a stainless and bronze sea-claw. It works very well.

I have the JL MM100, and LOVE it. I’m not an audiophile, but I do love music and have installed dozens of systems. I like the foot print, ease of use and multiple outputs the JL unit provides. I’ve had this one for almost 3 years without issue. My buddy has a Fusion and is on his third unit in as many years. Not sure what goes on with them but his has froze up and the the preamp outputs have just stopped working. 

I'm on my third Pathfinder and have had great luck with them all.  Love the 2500....

Stereo - I have a Fusion MS 770 head unit (has a very nice color touch screen and syncs nicely with my Simrad Sonar/chartplotter) with two pairs of JL 8.8s and a pair of 7.7's  Its really all you need.  No need for a sub with the 8.8's.  You can crank it up and get crystal clear sound at 50+ mph....rocks.. I have a JL m/400 and M/600 amp that drive the speakers.  The 7.7s are mounted in the forward gunnel in the stock cutouts on either side of the step, one set of 8.8s on either side of the console and one set on the aft bulkhead under each flip up seat.  Great setup.  I can send pics if you are interested.

I opted for a minn Kota Terrova, manual deploy.  All my bussies who have the self deploy models have had issues with them.  I went for simplicity...I drive it with a Stealth charger and  36V battery.  Works phenomenal.  Run it all day with no drop off.

Sea-Claw anchor....nothing else...

One thing I wish that I did was order the boat with black silicone (in the seams between the console and gunnel tops) instead of the standard white.  It just doesn't show any mold or dirt over time.

Good luck, you will love the boat!

Fisherman,

I'm unable to access my boat at the moment so I can't help with pictures.

I have the 12 lbs Sea Claw anchor and i believe the 18" cross bar so it hangs nicely in the anchor locker. I normally anchor in fairly shallow water (less than 30 ft)

I suggest you call the owner Kevin as he can tell you which cross bar size and weight he recommends based on boat size and anchoring depth.

You can reach him on  941 698 5744 

Manual deploy trolling motor - my dealer screwed up and ordered mine with the Ulterra instead of the Terraova and I thought sweet free upgrade- nope nothing but headaches

JL100s, JL amplifier and 8.8 In front and rear and 6.5 in hardtop. I went with a 10” powered Bazooka in the console for my sub. It is removable if more dry space is needed. I have the GXM54 Xm weather with Sirius radio all ran through my Garmin 7610. I can’t really imagine wanting it any louder.

macerator pumps on front fish box

Anchor, standard fluke type anchor, it may have been used twice in 3 years maybe.

Stereo- I went with 4x 7.7" M6's (Front Step & T-top) & 2x 8.8"s M6 (Rear Seats) pushed by a JL 800w 8Channel (Bridged for the 8.8's). Kept the install pretty clean by running a Fusion Black Box and mounting the controller in the Front compartment of the T-top. I can control it through my Garmin, phone, or watch if needed. It's loud enough but not obnoxious.

TM- This is just my opinion but: Whatever TM you go with, they are going to take a beating and will most likely need service at some point. Choose a brand that you can have serviced locally and doesn't take 6 months to order parts.

I went with the 36v 60" Ulterra- I love it, Bottom fishing will never be the same. Had my first warranty repair (Secondary board went bad, was usable but would drift with spot lock). It was a fast repair compared to some of the horror stories I've heard. Took about a week to get the part and 1 hour for them to fix.

Anchor- Seaclaw- I only use mine a few times a year between the 10' PP's and the TM. Have 10' of SS Chain & a Swivel, 200' of Rode

On 9/24/2020 at 8:01 PM, pbspecial said:

I'm on my third Pathfinder and have had great luck with them all.  Love the 2500....

Stereo - I have a Fusion MS 770 head unit (has a very nice color touch screen and syncs nicely with my Simrad Sonar/chartplotter) with two pairs of JL 8.8s and a pair of 7.7's  Its really all you need.  No need for a sub with the 8.8's.  You can crank it up and get crystal clear sound at 50+ mph....rocks.. I have a JL m/400 and M/600 amp that drive the speakers.  The 7.7s are mounted in the forward gunnel in the stock cutouts on either side of the step, one set of 8.8s on either side of the console and one set on the aft bulkhead under each flip up seat.  Great setup.  I can send pics if you are interested.

I opted for a minn Kota Terrova, manual deploy.  All my bussies who have the self deploy models have had issues with them.  I went for simplicity...I drive it with a Stealth charger and  36V battery.  Works phenomenal.  Run it all day with no drop off.

One thing I wish that I did was order the boat with black silicone (in the seams between the console and gunnel tops) instead of the standard white.  It just doesn't show any mold or dirt over time.

What see claw size ?

14 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Thanks for the advice

one more question.

i am trying to install a 36v trolling motor. How many baterías do you guys recomendado ? 4 or 5?

and this goes for curiosity 

having the same 300 hp engine, which boat will run faster? 2400 trs or 2500 hybrid ?

As to batteries I have the same setup and running 4, only 1 for the house battery... works fine for me and the 2 biggest amp draws are the live well pump and the 12" mfd, both of which run constantly as 99% of the time I have love bait.  Currently have a group 27 for the house batt but will change it to a grp 31 just for the xtra amp hours as theres plenty of space.  

If you were to be running more than 1 livewell alot or have a amped up sound system Id say go with 2 for the house.

Purely a guess but my money is on the 25 being faster she will fly

• 1 month later...

I have had Fusion Heads on all my MBG Boats but this time I chose JL and am happy I did.  As for TM, I would recommend MinnKota.  I was hoping to transition to the Rhodan, but ultimately after running it on my brothers boat, I feel like its inferior to the MinnKota Riptide.  I have 4 batteries for my 36v 72" MinnKota.  As others have said, definitely DO NOT install the MarineCo plug.  I've had two melt on my Maverick 18's and one on my 17.  Since then I have been installing a Blue Sea Dual Post (https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/28/105/PowerPost_Connectors/Dual_PowerPost) and use wingnuts with lock washers in case I need to remove the TM.  Also, get the twin Power-Poles.  I'd recommend the 10' but whatever meets your need.  I don't think I will ever do a boat with out twin PP's again.  Consider adding the front canvas if you haven't and maybe getting the traditional Lenco trim tab w/indicator and auto retract.  I already have had a failure in the STBD switch on my 2nd station. Best of luck with the build.   

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2020 at 9:01 PM, pbspecial said:

Did you put the 8.8s in front or back? Starting to consider a system to make the family happy. Looks like 4 speakers is about all that can easily be done on the 2500. 2 up front and 2 under the rear seats. Or am I missing something?

I have three sets of speakers. 

• Up front on either side of the step I have a pair of 7.7
  • On either side of the console a pair of 8.8s
  • In the back under the rear seats a pair of 8.8s.
  • I have two amps driving them, a 600/6 and a 400/4 JL Audio.  The 400/4 is bridged to power the two real 8.8s and the 600 runs the front  7.7s and bridged to the console 8.8s.

Sounds fantastic!  You can run at 40+ and crank it up to have crisp, clear tunes....No need for a sub with the 8.8s, they are quite impressive .

On 12/13/2020 at 9:26 AM, pbspecial said:

I have three sets of speakers. 

• Up front on either side of the step I have a pair of 7.7
  • On either side of the console a pair of 8.8s
  • In the back under the rear seats a pair of 8.8s.
  • I have two amps driving them, a 600/6 and a 400/4 JL Audio.  The 400/4 is bridged to power the two real 8.8s and the 600 runs the front  7.7s and bridged to the console 8.8s.

Sounds fantastic!  You can run at 40+ and crank it up to have crisp, clear tunes....No need for a sub with the 8.8s, they are quite impressive .

Thanks, I was worried about the console speakers distorting sound because they face out while the others face in. I was going to go with 8.8s in front and 7.7 in rear or vice versa. Might add that set in the console now though. Thanks again.

I don't think the 8.8s will fit up front on either side of the step.  Might need a spacer to clear fuel filler hose, they might fit but I think it will be very tight......

and No distortion, having the two pointed out is good for those sandbar days as they push sound outside the boat better than the two front and back...

• Like 1