On board battery charger

Guest DavidG

Guys , hate to keep asking questions but picked up my boat Friday and brought home and plugged it in to its charger. After 2 days it’s only showing a blue light A/C mode, yet no other light is lit including the maintain light. This is a 3 battery charger on a 2018 Hewes 18 redfisher. Any help is appreciated...David

DE04553D-DEEB-4671-937C-D547BEAA7B37.jpeg

2 hours ago, DavidG said:

Guys , hate to keep asking questions but picked up my boat Friday and brought home and plugged it in to its charger. After 2 days it’s only showing a blue light A/C mode, yet no other light is lit including the maintain light. This is a 3 battery charger on a 2018 Hewes 18 redfisher. Any help is appreciated...David

DE04553D-DEEB-4671-937C-D547BEAA7B37.jpeg

what make and model?

dc

Well, on-board chargers are not what they use to be. I had a Pro Mariner (three bank 20 amp) on my old boat that lasted 12 years. I bought a new 23 hps in 2013 and this is the forth charger I've had on this rig. It's in a below deck compartment that gets very little air circulation. The last charger I installed is a Power Mania because they have an internal fan for cooling. We had a lightning strike at the condo and it fried my charger as well as light fixtures on the buildings. So, I installed another Power Mania. If your charger is installed in an area that gets some air circulation, then maybe a Pro Mariner. If not much air circulation, then a charger with an internal fan. 

Thanks for the info! I just picked it up from ACM on Friday after a circuit board failure on the power pole. I can tell by the loose battery straps and missing battery terminal covers that they were involved. Unfortunately their closed today. Hopefully it’s a quick fix as the weather has turned into a great week for fishing 

On 9/27/2020 at 4:42 PM, DavidG said:

Thanks for the info! I just picked it up from ACM on Friday after a circuit board failure on the power pole. I can tell by the loose battery straps and missing battery terminal covers that they were involved. Unfortunately their closed today. Hopefully it’s a quick fix as the weather has turned into a great week for fishing 

Can you clarify who ACM is? Based off the mess left behind, I think I know who. 

I second Power Mania chargers (only 2 years in on this one) for their integrated fan and versatility; gel, AGM, lead acid. MY boat came rigged with lead/acid and I will upgrade to AGM when the time comes and knowing I just have to flip a switch is nice. I realize most charges are like this now, but...Check the fuses on the charger leads and make sure they're correctly connected to the batteries, + to + and - to -, etc.....I mean, ACM was there, right? 

The OP is looking for answers to his current brand new charger, not recommendations for a different brand.

1) Did the charger work correctly before the Power Pole issue? Since the connections have been disturbed, could very well be hooked up incorrectly, or could have been incorrectly hooked up at the start potentially causing your PP issue and blowing the inline fuses or damaging the charger. BradM’s advice to check connections is the right place to start.

2) Do you have a manual for the charger, usually there is a legend for the indicator lights and sometimes they will show a fault condition? If not, you should be able to find it online. The indicator lights might be faint and hard to see at an angle, a straight on picture would be best. (Realize you stated it was hard to access, which is an issue all by itself.)

3) Make of the charger would be helpful, does not look like anything I am familiar with.

Guest DavidG

Thanks all for the info. The boat is still in the shop. Yes the charger was working prior to the circuit board in the power pole being replaced .( only  2 weeks in the shop) I picked up the boat initially on Friday mid day and opened the battery hatch to turn battery switch on when I noticed a battery” tilted” with straps all loose and terminal covers hanging. ( I’m anal about certain things and KNOW this wasn’t the way it was taken to ACM) I plugged in the electrical cord in the charger and only the blue light came on and no green lights came on. The blue light shows it’s connected to A/C. I did go through what wiring I could see and other then loose straps and terminal covers off and couldn’t find a thing unplugged. I did google the charger to get all this info. Unfortunately ACM was closed so I was at the service gate at 0755 that Monday as fishing weather was going to be “perfect” on Wed through Friday. I called the shop on Tuesday and was told the on board charger was bad but was still under warranty. Then the Service Manager advised me not to call and he would notify me when the boat was ready. That was a week ago and haven’t heard a thing!.I bought the boat new Dec2018 and still have less then 20 hours on the motor. ( spinal cord issues). I will say the Salesman was and still is very friendly, The tech I’ve dealt with over the initial placement of the transducer was great so maybe the Service Manager was just having a bad day? He did advise when I dropped the boat off and I told him of the straps and covers that a tech had no reason to go into console . I’m not the brightest bulb in the box but yes you need to open the console to turn the power on. So we’re going on a month now. Thankfully it’s a Nor eastern going on so finding honey-do’s to finish. My next post might be Hewes 18 ft redfisher for sale. All of you along the Gulf shores be careful! This next storm is going to be rough!.......David

PS. It’s a Promariner Prosport 20 plus