2007 Redfisher 16

Billfish

Got a Yamaha 90 on my 16 Redfisher and having struggles getting on plane since adding 2nd PowerPole. With two guys and release wells full along with two PPs I can't jump on plane with the 90HP. Once on plane everything is OK. Before looking at jumping to a 115 wanted to see if I can get some ideas on a prop change and what you guys would recommend. Thanks

If you have batteries in the console move them to the front if you can. Try to keep the light stuff like PFD's and such in the back and heavier stuff like tackle bags in the front. Push your cooler forward against the bulk head. Going to have to balance the weight more on the boat since you have added the additional weight in the back. If all that doesn't correct it might try a negative wedge on the motor to get more negative trim out of it or a different prop such as a stern lifter. 

1 hour ago, Billfish said:

Got a Yamaha 90 on my 16 Redfisher and having struggles getting on plane since adding 2nd PowerPole. With two guys and release wells full along with two PPs I can't jump on plane with the 90HP. Once on plane everything is OK. Before looking at jumping to a 115 wanted to see if I can get some ideas on a prop change and what you guys would recommend. Thanks

What pitch is on your prop and what is the number of blades 3 or 4

A 4 blade will definately get you up quickly.

i had two PP on my 17T (different) boat with a 50 hp, I would get up on plane...

dc

Dino is accurate on the prop issue as well if you are running a 3 blade you may want to switch to a 4 blade, might play with the pitch also, or you might have to go to a different prop style as a stern lifter. Finding the right prop is always a pain in the rear so I would start with balancing the weight first. Also those negative wedges by Bob's Machine Shop are cheap and easy to install they do help if you want a flatter take off without the bow pointing into space.

I have a 2001 16 Redfisher also with 90 yamaha. I have not had the boat long and I too am in the tweaking mode. My boat has a power tech 16 pitch 4 blade. 
  the little boat will jump on plane pretty quickly. My issue is it will blow the prop out in a turn with the slightest amount of trim up. If it is tucked all the way in it does not blow out.

When the motor is tucked all the way under I have a v spray coming off the foot. I hate that. Trimmed out just a tad and it goes away. 
 Some say that combo needs the motor set all the way down... don’t do that it’s awful as far as the spray. 
 Up one hole is where I prefer my set up. I think my next move will be Bobs stabilizer plate to try to keep it from blowing out.

I ran some old three blade props I have here and they didn’t stand a chance keeping bite in a small turn when planed out. 
 Many older post brag on the 16 Redfisher with the 90. And I agree the power is good for the hull if you can make it hook up and stay hooked up. My little boat runs at least 40 if not 42 mph and man does it take a little rough water with ease. 
 I want to try the mercury spitfire x7 that others have bragged on but have not found a nice used one yet. 
 I do not see the need for wedge to tuck the motor under anymore and can’t imagine the spray from the engine that would cause. I’m sure it would stop when trolled out but then I think I would be right back to blowing the prop out in slight turns. 
   I know ,, long post.. just sharing my efforts thus far.