Motor Repower

Grassbottom

Just by observation, My neighbor has a older scout with a 100 hp Yamaha. I have a 2018 Hewes with the 115 Yamaha SHO and all is completely different including the prop. If your going to bite the bullet, might as well have all new components changed as well....David

PS.....Great motor by the way!

1 hour ago, Grassbottom said:

I have a 1999 Hewes 16F with an 2000 90 HP Yamaha and am thinking of repowering with  a new 115 SHO dose anyone know if I can use the same gauges and rigging, and prop I did already put  hydraulic steering on the boat

Contact Outlaw he replaced his old smoking 2 stroke 115 Yamaha with a new SHO 115 . He would know exactly what had to be updated .

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 9:34 AM, Grassbottom said:

I have a 1999 Hewes 16F with an 2000 90 HP Yamaha and am thinking of repowering with  a new 115 SHO dose anyone know if I can use the same gauges and rigging, and prop I did already put  hydraulic steering on the boat

Ditto what SouthernWake said above, especially regarding the weight difference. The 115 SHO is about 115 LBS heavier than your 90.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to try, lol - I loved my 115 SHO.

14 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

To argue a different angle, maybe upgrade your rigging to current to give it a new feeling and go through a “rebuild” the 90 2 stroke to like new condition. They are great motors.

Ditto....a new SHO will be at last $8K.  If you have the cash then go for it.  If not, the 90's will live forever if treated properly.  I"m with Wake, first, does it even need a rebuild (how is the compression)? There is really NOT alot to go wrong with the old 90's if you use proper fuel (add ringfree), use OEM oil, put it on the muffs every trip, change out the lower unit oil and filters and keep the water pump up to date....that's about it !!!

Now, if you want something different, go for it, you wont' be unhappy with a SHO from what I've seen.  

I"m running a 115 1995 two smokers on my MA17 - my mechanic here in FLL has told me every time I bring it to him for something minor (we did the hyraulic pistons), and I had them do the carbs a few years ago ......He said, "(you'll probably be dead before this motor goes so long as you don't run it WOT all day long and you treat it right !!! :) )   The run forever....just go to Central America and see what's running in the marina on the local fisherman skiffs.....   :)

dc

My buddy just waited 4 months for his .

Got it today !

Best money spent right there .

Oh I did forget to mention to you .

I am like 100% positive , tour prop will not work , on this motor .

I replaced my steering , shift , and throttle cables .

Everything else was plug and play .

So play I do !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Like 1