Suggestions on where to celebrate turning 40!

malonso

I turn 40 in May and my wife is asking where I would like to go. I was thinking South Seas but their rates have gone through the roof. Second thought 'Tween Waters as we used to go there quite a bit many years ago. I would love to hear other suggestions where I may be able to tow the skiff and keep it in the water for a few days of fishing and spending time with the family.

Are you familiar with "Westons Resort" in Englewood? Newly remodeled, boat ramp, lots of boat slips, pools, trailer parking,right on the Gulf. Lots of close restaurants and good fishing.

http://wannabinn.com/

I will second this as I spent all of my youth vacations there.

Good boating, fishing and the beach out front is really nice. Your on the southern end of the key and basically at the end of the road, so little traffic. Several p*** to the south including stump, little Gasparilla and Boca Grande all within a 20 mile run.

Not sure about the rates these days or management. The place was originally owned by Joe and Helen Weston and then their daughter took over.

Lots of good memories from that place.

Another suggestion would be renting a house on Little Gasparilla Island. My brother owns a house there. The island is awesome. You are close (by boat) to a lot of amenities such as restaurants and stores (Boca Grande, Pine Island, Cabbage Key etc). Look up Tarpon Real Estate. Family business that will put you in a really nice place.

I second the recommendation of Little Gasparilla Island, especially since you already like the west coast.

Stayed at a buddy's condo there near the southern tip (Hideaway is the name of the place). Like many places, you park in their lot and take their ferry across, and they have a nice dock set up for your boat. Gulf side beach is beautiful, and this particular place has a pool, which can be a nice change of pace.

The fishing is very good in the bay. Lots of reds and snook. Tons of bait on the Gulf side if you're into fishing with that, too.

Not sure about the night life because we tend to stay put on premises, but I'm sure you can find what you need.

Just a nice area to relax and fish without going too far from home.

Archived