Prop Recommendation HPX 18, SHO 115

Wanaflatsfish

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

My buddy is purchasing a new HPX -

Can forum members provide a hand on recommendation.

He is calling Funky Monkey (aka Marcus) @ PT today....

Any numbers, WOT, hole shot etc.

Open to 3 or 4 blade...

DC

DC as you know what prop works best on your boat is a personal preference. It depends what is more important to the boat owner , how he loaded and drives his boat . How heavy of a load is used most of the time . If he is looking for all out straight line speed and runs his boat with a light load a Pro 3 PT or a Pro series Yamaha k series would be a good choice . If running shallow and hole short with good grip would be on the top of his list a mercury Spitefire would be a good choice . I am fairly sure that his call to the funky monkey today will be a informative one . Joe R . 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

He'll be fishing mostly running from Islamorada to Flamingo and trailering to Choko...so, hole shot will be important...3 fisherman max.

I'm thinking 4 blade would be what works for him...I just don't know what is WOT with a sho115

The 115 SHO max WOT RPM is 6300 . That motor has a lot of low end torque so getting a great hole shot on that combo is fairly easy . 

When we were setting up our  2018 Hewes MBG put me in touch with Carabee Marine the Maverick/Hewes/Pathfinder dealer  in Islamoranda. They asked me what my objective was then gave me the part# and  even called my dealer in Sarasota and told them what I needed. In our case we ended up with a four blade that gave us good all around performance and almost 7 mpg running the 115 SHO.. We used the boat a lot around Islamorada and back in Flamingo so a quick hole shot was important to us. The Hewes is much heavier than the Maverick and our top end was around 46-48 mph Depending on load. Avg load was 30 gal fuel and both live wells full. 

5F86EDC7-E333-4107-97E0-2DC03C48873E.thumb.jpeg.d61082dc9dbd5c11b50d3266d2de8996.jpeg

IMO - the top 4 picks for this boat/motor combo are:

3-blade Powertech PRO3 13.5 x 21

3-blade Yamaha Pro Series 13.5 x 21 (not made anymore - PT PRO3 is a replica)

4-blade Mercury Racing Spitfire X7 12.7 x 20

4-blade Yamaha Talon SS4 13.25 x 20

If a jack plate is installed, the 3-blade may not have enough grip - so a 4-blade would probably be the better choice.  Powertech recently came out with a PRO4 that would be fun to try as well.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, geeviam said:

IMO - the top 4 picks for this boat/motor combo are:

3-blade Powertech PRO3 13.5 x 21

3-blade Yamaha Pro Series 13.5 x 21 (not made anymore - PT PRO3 is a replica)

4-blade Mercury Racing Spitfire X7 12.7 x 20

4-blade Yamaha Talon SS4 13.25 x 20

If a jack plate is installed, the 3-blade may not have enough grip - so a 4-blade would probably be the better choice.  Powertech recently came out with a PRO4 that would be fun to try as well.

Geeviam

You have run these on a HPX 18 ? 

DC

41 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Geeviam

You have run these on a HPX 18 ? 

DC

Short answer is no.  Wish I had a HPX 18.  My opinion is based on knowledge and experience shared by my good friend, prop guru, and mentor - Joe R. (Dabear).  Another member with a HPX 18 w/ 115 SHO had very good results with the Yamaha Talon SS4, but now that I found the post, I see he was running an 18 pitch. 

Dabear sometimes runs a 4-blade Mercury Spitfire X7 21 pitch, that he sent to Mercury Racing for the blades to be resized and lab finished.  That's why I mentioned the Talon SS4 in 20 pitch.  Honestly I think Dabear's HPX 18 could be the fastest one around with a 115 SHO.  Maybe it's all those coats of wax or something 😉

• Like 1

This is what my 2018 Hewes Redfisher 18 with a 115 Yamaha SHO came with. I will say with 2 grown men, 31 gallons of fuel and boat fully loaded, has a great hole shot and definitely runs faster then I need to run. ( unless it’s my wife chasing me ). When the dealer took me for a initial ride, it gave me a whole new respect for professional boat racers! Great gas mileage as well!

image.jpg

On 11/7/2020 at 7:58 AM, mulligan said:

Just wondering if anyone has tried a Mercury Trophy?  I know it is an "older" prop but has always had good grip, lift, holeshot, and speed.

Excellent question Mulligan!  A great prop, with a borderline cult following.  Dirk Bjornstad, the Mercury Propellers Brand Manager, runs a Trophy Plus on his boat.  His video review: