Motorguide or Minn Kota

TarponRod

My tiller was ( I still have it just do not use it ) a Motor Guide Riptide. Tillers are so simple and reliable that I would shop price, fit and availability over manufacture. Either company makes a good tiller steer and I do not anticipate you having to deal with either ones support. None of my Tillers ever gave me any problems.

Now these GPS remotes steers are another story. I have now owned all three manufactures. I currently have a Rhodan and it has been the best overall so far.

Interesting answers here. Motor Guide Riptide? Must be a hybrid. A deal on new or used non-Rhodan? They are back ordered and hard to find now. And the guys who have them waiting for it to die to get a Rhodan? Why are they waiting so long if they are so bad? We live in the age of misinformation.

Get what suits your budget and is available, having a good local service center is good advice.

I’ve had 20 years of 100% satisfaction with Minn Kota ...currently have a 36V 112 lb I Pilot on my Pathfinder and so far in  5 years had no issues and it gets used at least 4 times a month. Before that I had the 24 V 80 lb and had no issues. I have two small tiller 30 lb and 45 lb on Jon boats and the granddaughters run the heck out of them and I’ve had no problems. Minn Kota has excellent customer service if you have questions when you first install. ( like I did when I switched from tiller to I pilot )  I had the learning curve for spot lock...but once I called them...I’m darn near a pro with that spot lock now. 😎🎣

On 11/10/2020 at 6:10 AM, Bamaskeet said:

Nobody makes a bullet  proof trolling motor.  Buy the one you can get good local service.

I agree.  My most recent trolling motor was a Rhodan.  It seemed well made, but the GPS anchor feature let me down a few times, and it was more noisy than I thought it should be.  On the next boat, I am seriously considering keeping it simple, with a Minn Kota Fortrex tiller.  A simple and quick directional adjustment with tiller is easier than fumbling around pushing buttons on a small remote, that many times over-steers, requiring you to push the opposite directional button to correct.  If you really need the GPS anchor feature (Spot-Lock), then go ahead and spend $1,000 more and get it.  Just my 2 cents.

On 11/9/2020 at 6:47 PM, TarponRod said:

I am looking to buy a new trolling motor for my 16' Bayfisher.  Probably going to stick with a 12V bow mount tiller.  The reviews for both Minn Kota and Motorguide are pretty bad anybody had luck with either one?  I wish Rhodan had a basic tiller model. 

He is asking about Tiller steers for a 16 ft Bayfisher.  I prefer the Minn Kota Riptide bow mount Tiller. It Served me well and I still have it. I have even spent a few hours contemplating how I could set it up to run on my Xi5/Rhodan mount. I just have not been able to visualize it yet. If I could work that out I would have all my situations covered. 

Minn Kota RipTide Tiller steer bow mount review......Good. strong, quiet, well built, ( handle was a little weak but I have an extender mounted to the shaft)

MotorGuide bow mount Tiller steer Good,  Minn Kota is better, My Experience.

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

I wish I loved my Rhodan. Buy the Minn Kota 

Sorry you do not like your Rhodan. 

My  MG XI5 is hands down better than my Minn Kota I Pilot, better built, much quieter, more precise. If I go away from my Rhodan I will go back to MG XI5.

My Rhodan is leaps and bounds  better "built" that my MG or the MK. The board, connectors just everything is much better. The weak spot is the transmission. It is course and weaker. The motor is much larger and it is louder than my Xi5. The positive is The Anchor Lock, Track and Route Modes are MUCH BETTER, it is faster and the Support is awesome. I worked with MG ( mercury ) support for weeks and never got a resolution for the problems with my Xi5. Only the GPS functions are a problem. That being said I LOVE my XI5 when it is working. It "WAS" good enough on anchor lock and super stealthy while running manually, The remote is precise and the Transmission is fine and very quite. I literally ran Snook over buzzing shorelines. I still use it when I run banks with no plan to anchor lock. It Bank Fishes extremely well.

If I am outside and or am planning to anchor Lock I run the Rhodan.  I sold the Minn Kota Ulterra I Pilot. I am told they are now better but I am not Convinced.

I think right now the point is pointless.... Looks like all of them are Out Of Stock.......

TMs1.jpg

20 hours ago, NCTribute said:

Interesting answers here. Motor Guide Riptide? Must be a hybrid. A deal on new or used non-Rhodan? They are back ordered and hard to find now. And the guys who have them waiting for it to die to get a Rhodan? Why are they waiting so long if they are so bad? We live in the age of misinformation.

Get what suits your budget and is available, having a good local service center is good advice.

You are Right, I miss typed  MotorGuide Riptide,  I stand corrected. See my post above. I have owned a bunch of them and still own three of different manufactures. 

3 hours ago, jh141 said:

He is asking about Tiller steers for a 16 ft Bayfisher.  I prefer the Minn Kota Riptide bow mount Tiller. It Served me well and I still have it. I have even spent a few hours contemplating how I could set it up to run on my Xi5/Rhodan mount. I just have not been able to visualize it yet. If I could work that out I would have all my situations covered. 

Minn Kota RipTide Tiller steer bow mount review......Good. strong, quiet, well built, ( handle was a little weak but I have an extender mounted to the shaft)

MotorGuide bow mount Tiller steer Good,  Minn Kota is better, My Experience.

Sorry you do not like your Rhodan. 

My  MG XI5 is hands down better than my Minn Kota I Pilot, better built, much quieter, more precise. If I go away from my Rhodan I will go back to MG XI5.

My Rhodan is leaps and bounds  better "built" that my MG or the MK. The board, connectors just everything is much better. The weak spot is the transmission. It is course and weaker. The motor is much larger and it is louder than my Xi5. The positive is The Anchor Lock, Track and Route Modes are MUCH BETTER, it is faster and the Support is awesome. I worked with MG ( mercury ) support for weeks and never got a resolution for the problems with my Xi5. Only the GPS functions are a problem. That being said I LOVE my XI5 when it is working. It "WAS" good enough on anchor lock and super stealthy while running manually, The remote is precise and the Transmission is fine and very quite. I literally ran Snook over buzzing shorelines. I still use it when I run banks with no plan to anchor lock. It Bank Fishes extremely well.

If I am outside and or am planning to anchor Lock I run the Rhodan.  I sold the Minn Kota Ulterra I Pilot. I am told they are now better but I am not Convinced.

I think right now the point is pointless.... Looks like all of them are Out Of Stock.......

TMs1.jpg

Are these the same thrust motors? Big difference in props between brands.

They are both 36 volt. The MotorGuide Xi5 says its 105 # thrust. The Rhodan is said to be 120 # thrust.  There are two and three blade props made from different materials available for the Xi5. I have tried most of them. The Rhodan has only one prop, the three blade thats on it. The Rhodan is a bigger motor and prop. 

I also have a 24 foot Stiffy Hybrid and a removeable 36 inch tall platform. Poling my 22' TRS is hard.......LOL