Vapor Locking Yamaha 115 4-stroke (just started happening)

DavisIslander

Been driving this wonderful vessel like a "scalded dog" (old timers will know this term) and recently (as in the last three times out), I've started to get vapor lock on my 2004 115 4-stroke Yamaha.  354 hours on the motor and it runs beautiful. (usually) 

After a few starts and stops, I get the dreaded rar-rar-rar-rar and it won't start.  After waiting a decent timeframe (30-60 minutes) it cranks right up.

So...are there any remedies or work-around that I can employ to remove this new annoyance.  

BTW, can't wait for trout to open back up here in Tampa Bay, (May 2021)..been slaying 25-30 inchers.  Artificials.

Thanks everyone.

A friend has a similar issue with a smaller yamaha. There is a heat exchanger under the cowl that has a fuel line and a water line running thru it. It's about 6 or 8 inches long and 1 inch wide, metallic, and located just before the telltale (water pressure indicater). Disconnect the water hose and run a piece of string trimmer cord or wire thru the water passage to determine if it's clear. Clogged passage can cause vapor lock.

• Like 1

I am no sure about this ,but I don't think the older models,early 2000's had anti siphon devices installed.  All the new ones do.  If the fuel bulb is collapsed that would be the problem, the fact that the boat started up after you left it for a while makes me think there is an air lock in the tank that prevents the fuel from being drawn as it should.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 5:26 PM, DavisIslander said:

Been driving this wonderful vessel like a "scalded dog" (old timers will know this term) and recently (as in the last three times out), I've started to get vapor lock on my 2004 115 4-stroke Yamaha.  354 hours on the motor and it runs beautiful. (usually) 

After a few starts and stops, I get the dreaded rar-rar-rar-rar and it won't start.  After waiting a decent timeframe (30-60 minutes) it cranks right up.

So...are there any remedies or work-around that I can employ to remove this new annoyance.  

BTW, can't wait for trout to open back up here in Tampa Bay, (May 2021)..been slaying 25-30 inchers.  Artificials.

Thanks everyone.

Not Sure if this applies to your boat but my 2012 TRS had the anti siphon valve in the pickup of the fuel tank. Caused a few issue's like that on my 4 stroke. I changed primer balls twice and checked and tested the entire fuel system. Since I removed the anti siphon valve all the problems disappeared. It was a bit of a pain but wow what a difference. Keep in mind, the valve was now stuck closed or anything, and my boat was only six or so years when this was occurring. It has been perfect ever since. 

• Like 2

I hear ya....Just not convinced....What the experts say,

"The anti siphon valve is not needed to run your boat properly, but is required by law so that if you capsize fuel will no leak out of the boat".Aug 25, 2004

If I capsize that would be my almost last concern.....I can think of at least a couple other ways to keep the fuel in the tank after a sinking or capsize that would not malfunction and strand me.

OR

"The anti-siphon valve is for safety. On many boats, if the fuel line between the engine and the fuel tank breaks, the gas could be siphoned into the bilge. To prevent this, an automatic spring-loaded valve is in the fitting that leaves the fuel tank."Oct 3, 199

Again, I would know pretty quickly if fuel was leaking into my bilge and if I had a line failure I would have the same type engine problems caused by a stuck open or closed anti siphon valve that would send me trouble shooting.

I do not disagree that these should be installed in all new boats being sold.   I just do not "want" one in my boat due to it causing problems.

may seem small, but had similar starting issues, bulb would get full but wouldn't stay that way. Found tiny little cracks in my fuel hose where it connects to the actual tank..took it off, cut back about 3/4 of an inch and put it back along with a new SS clamp. Checked the fuel line into and from the actual bulb and had same tiny cracks. Couldn't tell as they were so small that they didn't leak but just enough to allow air in keeping me from getting fully primed. Cut those back to clean hose and reclamped them...fixed it like a charm. I'd do the simpler things first...not a bad idea to take apart you carbs and clean them...I had to do this recently on my old Yamaha 130 Saltwater and it is really easier than you think.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 4:19 PM, jh141 said:

"The anti siphon valve is not needed to run your boat properly, but is required by law so that if you capsize fuel will no leak out of the boat".Aug 25, 2004

"The anti-siphon valve is for safety. On many boats, if the fuel line between the engine and the fuel tank breaks, the gas could be siphoned into the bilge. To prevent this, an automatic spring-loaded valve is in the fitting that leaves the fuel tank.”

Neither one of these statements are true concerning outboard powered boats where the tank top is below the lines and engines fuel inlet, from the USCG Boatbuilders handbook:

§ 183.568 Anti-siphon protection.

Each fuel line from the  fuel tank to the  fuel inlet connection on the carburetor must:

(a) Be above the level of the tank top; or

(b) Have an anti-siphon device or an electrically operated fuel stop valve:

• 2 years later...