Trailer Guides for Pathfinder 1900V

MBGNole

Hi All

I recently picked up an 01 1900V and I am very appreciative of this forum and all the knowledge shared in it.

The boat was originally a Florida FWC boat and although it is solid and runs well, it has suffered from a lot of neglect and shoddy workmanship. I was going to just do some things slowly, but as I got into the wiring it became apparent that a full rewire and overhaul was in order. No worries, the price accounted for this and I enjoy the restoration process. I will post a thread when I am done, showing the results.

Anyway, my question today is about adding trailer guides. The Performance dual axle trailer currently has no guides at all and just two bunks. I see most people have the post style guides as opposed to side bunk style guides. My previous boat had side bunks and they did seem to help loading in a strong side current. Some of the ramps around NE Florida have a pretty good current and I appreciate any help when it is ripping. 

Has anyone used side bunks with a Pathfinder? I am not sure if they will be useful on this hull or not. I looked for older threads, and did not see any references to side bunks. I did see some references to center or front bunks and that they helped with reducing chipping on the keel and made centering easier. My boat does have keel chips that I am going to repair, so I would like to reduce those in the future.

Any thoughts on side bunks or center bunks would be appreciated. Also, any general loading tips, how deep you set the trailer, etc. 

Thanks in advance and great community y'all have here!

Go play with it. You will decide what you need. The post are usually enough in my experience. I have never added guide post to my trailers, but have never taken them off either. If your trailer is set up well the boat will drive itself onto the trailer. The guide post will help in seeing the trailer when backing down. 

I have had guide posts on a couple of trailers, did not come with 'new' (to me) 1900V.   So far I have not found I needed them at all.  I think its personal preference.. most ramps I use do not have a lot of wind and (no top on the 19) it does not seem to be affected by winds like some other boats Ive had. 

The more apparatus you have on the trailer to help load, the better. You are repairing and improving your boat, so why take a chance that you might damage the boat in a strong wind or current. At the least, I would install guide posts. If you want more, then install a second set of bunks in the front to help center the keel when loading and prevent keel damage. 

• Like 1