Ameratrail for MA 18

Carolinadrifter

Has anyone had a custom Ameratrail trailer built for their Master Angler 18? Curious on their pricing and how well they load and unload the boat.  I’m looking to have a new trailer built for my 03. I’ve talked to a few shops here locally in Charleston and have talked to Owens and Sons down in St. Pete. Owens and Sons has had the best price so far. I do love the way the Ameratrails hold the HPX’s and Pathfinders though. Seem to sit low between the fenders. 

16 hours ago, Carolinadrifter said:

Has anyone had a custom Ameratrail trailer built for their Master Angler 18? Curious on their pricing and how well they load and unload the boat.  I’m looking to have a new trailer built for my 03. I’ve talked to a few shops here locally in Charleston and have talked to Owens and Sons down in St. Pete. Owens and Sons has had the best price so far. I do love the way the Ameratrails hold the HPX’s and Pathfinders though. Seem to sit low between the fenders. 

Waited and debated until forum Member Conocean shamed me into buying one for my MA17 :)

could not be happier, best decision I have made other than buying my MA17 1995.

Call the factory direct....they will work with you directly, but, be prepared to wait a bit.....I had mine built pre-covid and it was a 6 week wait...I've heard it could be as long as 8-10 weeks currently.

Send me a PM with a cell and I"ll talk you through my details.

dc

17 minutes ago, FLDXT said:

Just another company to give a shout out to you may want to check, Rolls Axle. I had one for my 17MA, one of the nicest trailers I've ever had, would buy another in heartbeat.

I investigated them as well.....lots of positive results....my reason for AT was:

1.) They have the "jig" for the MA17 for many years

2.) Rolls required drive my skiff to their factory and leave my skiff for fitting, then I would have to figure out how to  drag my old trailer back. 

With AT, I just called, sent a deposit and picked it up "naked" in Orlando.  I then transferred the new skiff at a local ramp 10 min away.

DC

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Clint Hebert said:

Checking to see how you like your Ameratrail trailer?  Looking at them for my 2004 18MA.  

There is nothing like an Ameratrail in my opinion....not saying anything against other manufacturers....I just find the AT to be a glove fit  as mentioned above for my MA 17 and it's changed my launching and trailering.

I wasn't sure it was worth the extra $1500 vs. a continental or EZloader, but, the hull sits low and tracks perfectly behind my F150.

My buddy Conocean - Paul on the forum kept telling me to get one and I finally listened.  I run the skiff 90 miles each way to Chokoloskee or Flamingo from FLL each trip, I have class D tires and it runs at 60 PSI.

BTW, I had a set of Goodyear Endurances from my previous trailer and kept them (they were new) and I use the stock tires on the AT as spares that I carry along in the pickup....I believe you can request an upgrade but they sell the trailer with a set of radials that I did not know the brand...AT says they work fine...I just like GY Endurance, Class D.

I had to wait almost 6 weeks...this was back in 2020 so I can't imagine what is the wait....BTW, I went directly to St. Cloud to the facility and bought one directly....

I have been happy so far...

the only detail I wish they had paid more attention was the connections on the wiring...they use heat shrink, but, I would have painted on some type of sealant...which I added when I noticed.

DC

10 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Another shout out for Rolls Axle.  Ameratrail may be polished and pretty, but they still use a garbage galvanized axle.  Rolls is literally lifetime.  

The Rolls Axle looks like a super high quality trailer.  I don't see a swing tongue as an option.  If they don't offer it, that would be a deal-breaker for me.  A swing-tongue makes all the difference on the size garage your boat will fit into.  My Ameratrail swing-tongue was literally dead-even with the forward tip of the bow on my Redfisher 16!

0806202007a.jpg

17 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Another shout out for Rolls Axle.  Ameritrail may be polished and pretty, but they still use a garbage galvanized axle.  Rolls is literally lifetime.  

I will agree on the axel......but, the fit to the skiff and how it sits in between the fenders and launches was my more important to me than that attribute.

And, as mentioned previously, the other major factor was dragging the boat 4 hours to have the skiff fitted....that would have cost me 2 full days...I work in Orlando a few days a month and I placed the order on the phone and picked it up on my way home...another reason....again, not saying anything against Rolls...had it been here in So Fla...I would have considered it more closely.

dc