Boat Slides on Trailer EVERY TIME

JFro

When l load the boat up on the trailer and tighten i down as much as possible with the strap, the boat slides back a couple inches every time.

My only conclusion is that the strap is stretching a bit.  There is no possible way to get another click out of the winch.

Anybody else had this issue? Solution?  Maybe a different strap that doesn’t stretch?  

The dealer’s solution was to simply use a 2nd strap to pull down so it doesn’t move much...

326DB9AB-BA5E-44E4-A8AD-FC45463E22D9.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Bamaskeet said:

Steep ramps gives me the same  problem.  I solve it, by pulling up the ramp a little and cranking on the winch again.

Same here.  The boat is easier to to move at the top of the ramp when the carpet is still wet.  Also, it's a good idea to occasionally spray your carpeted bunks with Liquid Rollers or a water resistant silicone spray, to allow the boat to slide on and off the trailer easily.  Be careful though - it is very slick and slippery.  Don't unhook the winch strap until the boat trailer is in position over or in the water.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Same here.  The boat is easier to to move at the top of the ramp when the carpet is still wet.  Also, it's a good idea to occasionally spray your carpeted bunks with Liquid Rollers or a water resistant silicone spray, to allow the boat to slide on and off the trailer easily.  Be careful though - it is very slick and slippery.  Don't unhook the winch strap until the boat trailer is in position over or in the water

hoooyaaaah...i hear ya...almost broke my hand the other day on the winch when I was backing down my MA17 in Chokoloskee...the skiff was was in the launch position in the water.......I pushed down on the handle, hit the clicker, then WOAAAAAHHHH, she backed down the ramp and the handle was spinning at a thousand miles per hr.......I had to have my partner int he boat put it in fwd and then push back up to release the winch strap...after I released, it fired back down the bunks.....LIquid Rollers are not forgiving :)

dc

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JFro said:

the boat slides back a couple inches every time.

I think I know the answer, the strap does not stretch, like my ex-wife, it may not be wrapped too tight (kidding, I do not have an ex-wife).  Is the boat new?  Have you recently replaced the winch strap?

When a strap is first wound up on the winch drum without any tension on it, there is a slight looseness in the coils, not much each coil but with all the coils on a 20 foot strap, they add up and it will take multiple "cranking the boat up to the bow roller" repetitions to get all of the "slack" out of the rolled up strap.  I recently replaced the original strap on my winch with a new, stronger strap.  When first loading the new strap, I applied a lot of force to it so it wound up tight on the drum.  Even so, the first time I cranked the boat up, you could tell that the strap was slipping a little as the remaining slack was being cranked out.

I expect that once you have cranked the boat up a few times, the problem will go away on its own.

Is that a single speed winch?  If so, you might consider replacing it with a 2-speed model with a low gear...makes it easier cranking the boat up to the bow roller.

The second strap, pulling down, that the dealer recommended, is a good idea in any circumstances.  Keeps the bow from bouncing around on a long trip.  Here's mine...

1364340420_450hourShineverylowres-1.thumb.jpg.1aeb37539fef5874b56f69345b98bbaa.jpg

I use a "Boat Buckle" retractable tie down like the one you have at the rear of the Ameritrail trailer.  It just makes sure that the bow does not bounce around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geeviam said:

Be careful though - it is very slick and slippery.

I wanted to make a comment about this observation, something I had learned in my single days long ago but I do not want to get banned from this family friendly Forum so I will simply agree, slick and slippery is way better than dry and rough - FOR LOADING BOATS ONTO OUR TRAILERS - OF COURSE.

• Haha 1

I have a TRS 2400 that does the same thing so what I started doing is to winch the last few feet to the bow roller with the motor in gear. Shut the motor off and then when pulling up the ramp go as slow as possible for the first several feet til the boat sits on the bunks instead of powering up the ramp and pulling the trailer out from under the boat if that makes sense.

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen with my 2019 243 Everglades on Ameritrail trailer.  I tried everything, they finally took it back to factory and they rebuilt trailer. Better but not perfect. On top of that I blew 4 tires within 4 months.  Every time I traveled more than the local boat ramp I lost a tire.  I just picked up an 18 HPX and am glad it did not have an Ameritrail, they look pretty but I have not had any luck with the one under my Everglades.