Fuel Tank calibration

Todd Stein

I have a 2016 2400 TRS.  My fuel gauge seems to be calibrated incorrectly.  It never shows the tank being full, and is usually down one or two bars after filling the tank.  I've run it down past the half full mark and filled it up to find that it only took 15 or 20 gallons.  I know there is a calibration option in the yamaha digital engine display unit, but don't understand how to set it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2015 23 hps and went by the fuel flow meter and ran out of fuel 2 times at 53 gallons used.  Turned out I was not getting a full tank.  The newer EPA required vapor filters won't let the last 10 gallons in without the gas pump clicking off.  I would click the pump nozzle 4 or 5 times, full right no.  You can get the last 10 gallons in but it will take an extra 10 minutes of sitting there clicking the nozzle off and on  Now I just consider I have a 53 gallon tank.  

Todd, I have never heard of a fuel gauge on any vessel being accurate. As you know, we have pretty much the same boat. I use my fuel consumption gauge and subtract gallons used from 73. Haven't run out yet, but I hardly ever use more than 40 gallons without filling up. BTW, the fuel consumption gauge is within a gallon or so every time I fill back up. I hope you and Susan can come visit sometime! 

I calculate by dividing miles logged by 3.5 which is what my two stroke makes 3.5 miles to the gallon, then subtract that form my fuel tank size which is 26 gallons. It's been pretty accurate for me. I hate trailering the boat to Wawa for Rec Fuel, always a *** show there, so I just take some 5 gallon containers with me to fill up and then pour them into the boat. My stress level is better that way.