21 MA VS 22 Pathfinder

Rustycoke

Any draft differences would be measured in millimeters. Speed differences hardly measurable, + or -- 1-2mph. 

The ride is somewhat different, but almost entirely based on how you sit in the boat. The hulls ride nearly the same.

They do fish a little different because of the deck layout. The MA is all flat deck with easy walk around gunnels. The Path has a deeper cockpit, and a slightly recessed casting deck.

The MA has 110 gallons of livewell.  I think the # of gallons on a Path are optional, and changed some by year...

Both are Great fishing boats.

11 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

Both are great fishing boats...it totally depends on what type of fishing you plan to do.....will you be up in the rivers, small creeks chasing Redfish and trout or possibly out front on beachside fishing for Tarpon or Cobia , etc ? 

From the flats for reds to the gulf for the Tarpon and pompano with some bottom fishing on 2ft or less sea days. 

• Like 1

I have owned and fished on both platforms many many many times....and this is absolutely just my opinion based on my personal experience with both boats with fishing more on beachside for tripletail and Tarpon and big reds.

I fish out of Savannah GA and most of the time on the waters between Hilton Head SC and Brunswick GA and even only if you are a few miles off the beach, it can get pretty snotty sometime at the flip of the weather switch. The Pathfinder is drier.

I presently own / fish a Pathfinder 2200 XL.   They are both great boats....but if you’re fishing out front on beaches and occasionally do some bottom fishing ....maybe even with kids or grandkids one day....the Pathfinder is a safer choice. 

Again, before I get blasted by critics.....this is solely my opinion from many years of fishing the beaches. I want to go on record saying that both boats are fantastic fishing machines. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

Again, before I get blasted by critics.....this is solely my opinion from many years of fishing the beaches. I want to go on record saying that both boats are fantastic fishing machines. 

I agree with Fish....

I Owned a 22 Pathy classic and fished many times on the MA21 with a guide buddy...

The ride is different....mostly as mentioned, due to your position in the boat.

In a 22 Pathy, you are normally standing behind a console...with a MA21, you are seated....

The MA21 is like a giant aircraft carrier when you are fishing on the flats and in the backcountry....huge amount of room.. and stable as heck.  As a real example, I used to yellowtail all the time in my Pathy 22 in the keys, I wouldn't do the same in a MA21 due to the freeboard....you have nothing to lean your legs against and balance....

Can you run the beaches in a MA21, yes, but, it needs to be relatively calm, not for the ride, but, for when you stop to fish...again, nothing to grab on to hold.  In a Pathy 22, you have a large console to give a bit of balance.

The MA21 is designed as a live bait platform, lots of baitwells and a front livewell.

If you are 80% of the time in bay and backwater chop - MA21...if you are 80% wanting to fish the beaches I'd go Pathy.

dc

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rustycoke said:

Whats the differences between a 21 Maverick MA a 22 Pathfinder? I know there are different models so just the basics. Draft, speed, ride and fishing. 

I have ridden in both quite a bit and currently own a 21MA.  There are a lot of differences.  They are completely different boats (and hulls).  Draft and speed goes to the 21MA even with less HP.  

The Maverick is a live baiters dream.  Padded V bottom, very dry, Huge wells, tons of dry storage, huge walk around decks (nicknamed the aircraft carrier).  The Maverick can also be comfortable with passengers as you can run some bean bag wedges in it and still run around the entire cap of the boat, unobstructed.  MA's do great off the beach.  I fish off the beach around Gasparilla all the time with no worries at all.      

22 Pathy hull was based off the 21MA but they made some subtle changes like removing the riding pad (no idea why).  You have to stand "in" a Pathy and hop up and down anytime you want to move from deck to deck.  The gunnels are not wide enough to stand on (some do by holding a ttop but still not recommended) and they are really not tall enough to give you any comfort offshore.  The only advantage I can think of with the Pathy is a stand up console.  It sometimes gives you a feeling that the ride is better since your legs and back are taking the impact opposed to your butt and back.  

Both are good boats with the MA getting the nod in my opinion, but you wont be disappointed in either really.  Just make sure you get a good one that hasn't been ragged out and tournament abused.      

• Like 2

I agree with all the responses above, that both are great boats. I have owned both. A 2004 2200 Tournament with a 200 HPDI. And I currently own a 2008 21 MA with a 250 HPDI. I personally like my 21MA much better than the 2200 Pathfinder. I would feel comfortable taking the 21 MA pretty much anywhere I would take the 2200. I cross Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor all the time in the 21 MA and feel it is as dry, if not drier, than the 2200. The 21 MA seems to ride on top of the chop much more than the 2200. As far as fishing, I also prefer the 21 MA. With its wide gunnels it feels less crowded and there seems to be more usable space. On the 2200 if someone is standing to the side of the console they have to move out of the way for someone to get around them. On the 21 MA if someone is standing to the side of the console you just walk right past them on the gunnel. One other thing that has nothing to do with fishability or the ride; you will always get a thumbs up and/or "nice boat" from others as they admire your 21 Maverick Master Angler! The good news is you can't go wrong with either boat. 

• Like 4

One comment - I havent had either boat, but I have lived on Floridas Gulf Coast and I have lived on the Atlantic.   There is a world of difference in "fishing off the beaches" between the two.   I take my 18 off the beaches up here in NC now, but very selectively and always within a 15 min run of the inlet.   When I lived on the Florida Gulf, I would take my 18 flats boat offshore and hardly think twice.   

So, Fishmanjj and the other responses may point you in different directions, but are probably both right.   

6 hours ago, fin-addict said:

One is a Bay Boat the other is a Flats Boat. JMO, LOL 🤦‍♂️😀. Could not resist, sorry.

Living in Jax, during spring and early summer, we call it Lake Atlantic. Even my 18 ft RF I would not hesitate to take out trolling for kings or Cobia. That’s where experience of yourself and knowing your boat are important. Common sense goes a long way...David

17 hours ago, DavidG said:

Living in Jax, during spring and early summer, we call it Lake Atlantic. Even my 18 ft RF I would not hesitate to take out trolling for kings or Cobia. That’s where experience of yourself and knowing your boat are important. Common sense goes a long way...David

You said it all. Knowing your limit and knowing your boat and use of common sense. 😀👍️Fin