Proper Removing and Care for Deep Hooked Snooks

THE OUTLAW

So in the last year I have had the pleasure to catch a 40+ and last Sat a 38” Snook , that had the lure / jig , so deep , in the back of their throats , it was darn near impossible to get it out .

The 40” was a jig , but was still difficult , and the 38” was a lure with 2 - 4X trebles and that one was not good .

I do not to start any back and forth from the nay sayers , but I want to know if there are things that can be done different .

Maybe a circle hook or something .

Want no harm to my babies mamas , but any helpful input would be helpful .

Thanks in advance .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️  

• Haha 1

My first suggestion is stop catching such big snook :)

The other suggestion and one I used to do on my Dusky 23 when off shore...is carry a large pair of bolt cutters to cut through hooks....I had the pleasure of a 7/0 going through my hand on a 20 lb dolphin and I took out the cutters and clipped off the barb and slipped it back through....and kept fishing....

I have a pair of wire cutters (clips) that would handle most any jig or trebble....good thought on this topic.

No, if you take me to a 40" snook, maybe we can try it out :)

dc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

So in the last year I have had the pleasure to catch a 40+ and last Sat a 38” Snook , that had the lure / jig , so deep , in the back of their throats , it was darn near impossible to get it out .

The 40” was a jig , but was still difficult , and the 38” was a lure with 2 - 4X trebles and that one was not good .

I do not to start any back and forth from the nay sayers , but I want to know if there are things that can be done different .

Maybe a circle hook or something .

Want no harm to my babies mamas , but any helpful input would be helpful .

Thanks in advance .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️  

Outlaw.....I sure wish I could experience the problems associated with 38” and 40” snook, that’s awesome .

NOW ..as for the treble hooks, I have switched to swinging singles on Zara Spooks top water because of problems trying to release anywhere from a 14” to a 24” Tripletail with all three treble hooks stuck up side his head and flopping all over the boat with those treble hooks flying around. We have a two fish per man limit and when they are really here good, we have caught 6 or 8 in a morning and release them to catch another day. The single hooks work just fine....you may miss one here and there, but normally if you keep walking the dog....he’ll come back and crush it. The main thing I learned when changing to single....make sure the eye of hook is turned in-line with the bend of the hook. Also make sure the hook eye is large enough to accommodate a split ring. VMC and OWNER both make hooks for this purpose.

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful replies .

Singles it is .

Big Snooks are much easier , on the east coast . ( Jupiter )

ENP Snook , tend to be smaller .

So it is a rush to get em there .

Also I switched to a 1500 size reel with 6 lb test , so its fun , to say the least .

Plus add working the troller , power pole and net , all solo , and then have no body to high five .

Still love the challenge !

Back at it ASAP .

PS Fish , do you happen to have a # on those hooks ?

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Singles it is .

Also I switched to a 1500 size reel with 6 lb test , so its fun , to say the least .

Plus add working the troller , power pole and net , all solo , and then have no body to high five .

Still love the challe

Back at it ASAP .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

I still use trebles. I may have one fish out of 25 that is hard to remove. We tried moving away from trebles. Snook seem to come unhooked on the Swinging Singles. I change all my Rapalas from singles to trebles. I have a long pair of heavy hemostats. Really makes hook removal easy and quick if that one in 25 inhales the plug. 

This is only on plugs, everything else I fish is a single hook. I also carry a good pair wire cutters. They are about 8" inches long so I can cut a hook even when its deep. 

Love those big West Coast ENP Snook.

Showoff.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Singles it is .

Still love the challenge !

Back at it ASAP .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Outlaw....this is what I’ve been using....of course you can go up a size if necessary because of those giant snook you are catching.

6CAA1FA9-A36E-4101-9DC3-6F0B4ABEFE25.jpeg

12 hours ago, geeviam said:

Would this long wire cutter be helpful, to cut the hook off and leave a small part of it, instead of harming the fish by tearing the barb loose?  I haven't tried them, but thought I'd ask.  Good topic Ralph!

Long Wire Cutters.jpeg

Do you have these?  I looked them up on Amazon and the ratings were not stellar.

I to have switched out my trebles for singles. The orig question has not been addressed I think. What to do if it’s a lure or jig and can’t get to the hook. Those can be big and prevent the fish from eating or positioned that is surely harming the fish. 

many may not agree with me but I would like to see a ban on the use of treble hooks. I see no good reason for using them at all. For that matter no barbs on hooks and even out the playing field for the fish and making it more skill in landing the fish rather than booking it in such a way it cannot release itself. More sporting imo. Would also increase the fishery I feel and may not have to put bans for long periods of keeping fish. I only C&R anywhay. 😀🙏 fin.

Great thread! I’ll be out buying some long wire cutters as well! I’ve never had the problem with 40” snook let alone a 6 inch snook but the Bull Reds here will inhale a hook so deep you end up tearing the fish up to even find the hook! We went years with bans on even keeping a red ( if you were lucky enough to see one). Nothing worse then trying to revive a red just to see it go belly up!

2 hours ago, Chief5130 said:

Do you have these?  I looked them up on Amazon and the ratings were not stellar.

No, as stated in my post - I have not tried them yet.  I just thought it might be a good option.  Looks like a good idea for a fishing tackle company to market in a 316 Stainless saltwater version, if 316 is hard enough to cut through hooks?

This is a great thread.  I fish up north for stripers in the summer and long ago bgt a pair of Knipex cutters to cut hooks especially out of me.  Made in Germany and are super strong. Check them out at Amazon.  They get great write ups which are deserved.  There is a pair with long handles which do the trick for deep hook sets. I have cut very big VMCs easily.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, polliwog said:

This is a great thread.  I fish up north for stripers in the summer and long ago bgt a pair of Knipex cutters to cut hooks especially out of me.  Made in Germany and are super strong. Check them out at Amazon.  They get great write ups which are deserved.  There is a pair with long handles which do the trick for deep hook sets. I have cut very big VMCs easily.

Knipex diagonal cutters are all i use (work related).  

• Like 2