Water in PP pump

flyfishinglife

My power pole pump on my 2017 HPX S developed the dreaded noise that's often associated with clogged filters. After watching a YouTube video I removed pump and took the tank off. The fluid looked good with virtually no sediment in the bottom. I put new fluid in and reinstalled. No change in the noise. Called PP and spoke with Todd. He recommended sending it in for inspection. They worked on the pump the same day they received it. Tech said rust in the pump indicating water got into it. It's in a pretty much watertight compartment with other gear that has never shown any indication of water intrusion. My previous PP went 10 years without an issue. This one is less than three years old and less than 300 hours on the boats engine. The boat stayed on a covered lift from mid May till late October, the snowbird thing;) Does anyone think it was simply condensation over a hot humid summer here in SW Florida? PP sent a new pump overnight and I installed the new pump with wire fittings so I can disconnect and remove the pump. I think I'll store in the jouse under AC next summer.

Being in storage that long can definitely cause that due to high humidity. I would definitely have the system flushed and new fluid added and see what happens. Any signs of leakage near the reservoir?

There was no leakage around the reservoir. I installed the new pump and filled the reservoir with the green hydraulic fluid that PP supplies, works fine again. I used quick disconnect electrical connections. The pump is not difficult to access, takes only about ten minutes to remove. I'll store it in the house under ac this summer. Maybe put a bucket of damp rid in the console, and spray Yamashield liberally around the engine and trim tabs.