Deck Stains

Lakerider

I purchased a new 2019 Hewes Redfisher from Central Florida Marine back in April of 2020.  There are several places on the deck with yellow stains that actually look like areas that weren't thoroughly painted.  I've reached out to the manufacture in Ft. Pierce and they could only offer that it looked like wax build up.  I've tried a few cleaners to try to get it out but they don't make any change.  Does anyone have any suggestions other than live with them.

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4258.jpeg

It could be any number to things. I know that some types of sun-tan lotion will stain gelcoat, cause that has happened to me. Leaves a brown/yellow stain. Have you tried using acetone to see if it removes the stain. I've also used wax/polish to remove these stains. Should be quick and easy if sun-tan lotion is the culprit. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies.  The stains were actually on the deck when I purchased it new out of the shop and I don't use suntan lotion so we can rule that one out.  I've also used bleach, starbrite hull cleaner and a detergent called RMR-86 which literally gets rid of all other stains and dirt on the boat.  

Lake rider, I have to agree with you. When I zoom in on them it appears that it’s areas that weren’t painted completely. It’s also to splotchy to be a stain as a stain would cover a complete area versus the splotches. Just my opinion but would take it back and have them repaint those areas...David

3 hours ago, Lakerider said:

There are several places on the deck with yellow stains that actually look like areas that weren't thoroughly painted.

A 2019 should not have had any "painted areas on the deck" unless there was a major repair - and it should not be "painted" it would be gelcoat.

I would begin with the following:

1.) use a product called Bar Keepers Friend - you can find it in Publix (looks like Comet) - make a paste and then scrub it with a scrub brush

1.1 - try using some marine compounding paste...this is an abrasive and will remove very lightly they top coat of the gel....if this does not fix it....go to below...but, be very careful...

1a. - if you have a bit of 1000 grit sand paper - if there stain still exists, gently see if a light sanding removes it.   Very very lightly sand it with water on the spot.

Now, don't despair....worst case scenario you can take it to a good gelcoat guy / gal and they can re-shoot for the floor for a few bucks....

DC

• Like 1

I actually got in touch with Lisa at MBG and explained my situation and sent pictures.  I live in Okeechobee so I'm close to the manufacturing plant.  Lisa suggested I contact the dealership and the dealership is up in Orlando and going out of business as the owner is retiring.  So Lisa sends my email to Steve at MBG.  I actually never hear from Steve so when I email Lisa again apparently he told her it looked like wax build up.  My daughter and son in law have an older Hewes bonefishes and a brand new Pathfinder think it's simply areas where the deck didn't get a thorough gelcoat. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

A 2019 should not have had any "painted areas on the deck" unless there was a major repair - and it should not be "painted" it would be gelcoat.

I would begin with the following:

1.) use a product called Bar Keepers Friend - you can find it in Publix (looks like Comet) - make a paste and then scrub it with a scrub brush

1.1 - try using some marine compounding paste...this is an abrasive and will remove very lightly they top coat of the gel....if this does not fix it....go to below...but, be very careful...

1a. - if you have a bit of 1000 grit sand paper - if there stain still exists, gently see if a light sanding removes it.   Very very lightly sand it with water on the spot.

Now, don't despair....worst case scenario you can take it to a good gelcoat guy / gal and they can re-shoot for the floor for a few bucks....

DC

Great advise and my daughter did suggest trying Bar Keepers Friend. Agreed painted was a poor choice of terminology. And yes since it's not killing me to see them worst case since MBG hasn't offered to reshoot some of the areas I'll look for a good gelcoat guy.... any suggestions 🙂

Apologize for the term paint and unfortunately all to familiar with gel coat as my last boat was stolen and then rolled after a short chase by our local PD. I can laugh now but stood on the side of the road crying just like the man whose truck pulling my boat had been stolen as well. The one thing we had in common was neither of us had even made the first payment......David

18 hours ago, DavidG said:

Lake rider, I have to agree with you. When I zoom in on them it appears that it’s areas that weren’t painted completely. It’s also to splotchy to be a stain as a stain would cover a complete area versus the splotches. Just my opinion but would take it back and have them repaint those areas...David

Unfortunately they never offered and told me to take it back to where I bought it in Orlando.  The owner in Orlando is going out of business and said I should contact MBG so it became kind of a circular discussion and as I mentioned I just never heard back from Lisa or Steve... the two folks I talked to at MBG.  I will likely have to take Wanaflatsfish's recommendation and find a good gelcoat guy...lol

14 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

If the gelcoat was too thin it would not have a yellow look but actually a darker look. 

The most definitive answer is  going to be a light sanding witha a fine wet/dry sandpaper. buff real good and polish.

Have you tried simply compounding it out.

15 hours ago, Big Dave said:

I would absolutely expect MBG to make this right for you.  Get in touch with Charlie or Skip and ask for help.

12 minutes ago, fin-addict said:
  • Agree totally

First and foremost I really appreciate the responses.  Unfortunately the pictures I took kind of distort the color, you would really have to see it in person.  I'm going to try a couple of the suggestions on buffing it out.  However, it was a little disappointing, given it is a new boat, that they didn't just say bring the boat over so we can take a quick look at it.  I'm sure they would have been able to diagnose it quickly and offered a solution.  With all that said... I absolutely love the boat and it's perfect for the type of fishing I like to do!!!

I would think your dealer or a dealer would be your best route on a new boat. I would have been calling the guy I bought it from to get resolve. If he is going out of business ask if he as worked with other dealers for his customer's moving forward.  Seems odd for anyone to suggest that you could wax the boat that much in a year of ownership. 
  I would drag the boat to a dealer and have someone put some eyes on it rather than sending photos. 

Water with tannic acid will turn it brownish yellow. Not sure if that's the case here but Lowes and HD have a product that contains oxalic acid for removing iron stains from concrete etc. StarBrite has one too, Lowes is way less expensive. Spray a little on the stain, it's gone. Then rinse. Use it up here because shrimping in St. Johns River will stain the gel coat. I just wait to spray it after shrimp season.

After rereading the  original  post it appears that the boat was a year old prior to purchase. It brings up the question of  where the boat was stored for a year. was it at the dealer in  lot or was it a factory repo from another dealer. I would  be interested  in knowing the boats history before the purchase was made. A lot goes on behind the scenes in the boating industry as well as all others.

sitting in the back lot with debry and water can easily stain the floor.

a 2019 bought in 2020   might be a new boat on paper but it is still a year old boat that has undergone depreciation just sitting.

Lake rider,

The factory isn’t set up to do repairs. Dealers are the first step.  You have to have a dealer look at the boat.  Looking at the pictures can’t diagnose problems usually.  
The boat had these ‘stains’ when you purchased it ?  We’re they discussed at delivery ?

Has the original dealer refused to handle the problem, or are they closed  ?

Try calling a closer Dealer and see if they will look at it. 

I have seen those yellow stains appear on newer fiberglass decks and hatches. I recall that the cause was said to be styrene coming to the surface.  Perhaps another Member knows more.

I will see if I can find out more. 
Mod M

47 minutes ago, Moderator said:

Lake rider,

The factory isn’t set up to do repairs. Dealers are the first step.  You have to have a dealer look at the boat.  Looking at the pictures can’t diagnose problems usually.  
The boat had these ‘stains’ when you purchased it ?  We’re they discussed at delivery ?

Has the original dealer refused to handle the problem, or are they closed  ?

Try calling a closer Dealer and see if they will look at it. 

I have seen those yellow stains appear on newer fiberglass decks and hatches. I recall that the cause was said to be styrene coming to the surface.  Perhaps another Member knows more.

I will see if I can find out more. 
Mod M

Thank you very much for your reply and interest.  Yes I did talk with the dealer Central Florida Marine up in Maitland/Orlando.  The owner suggested I talked with the manufacture since the manufacture was roughly 40 miles away as apposed to 120 miles away.  He told me he was retiring and shutting the business down.  Like I said I can live with it but I thought I would see what it might be since I've tried a number of things to remove it.  Styrene coming to the surface in the few spots might be what's happening since it's very localized.  That being the case I don't really need to spend a bunch of money on cleaners.

6 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I would think your dealer or a dealer would be your best route on a new boat. I would have been calling the guy I bought it from to get resolve. If he is going out of business ask if he as worked with other dealers for his customer's moving forward.  Seems odd for anyone to suggest that you could wax the boat that much in a year of ownership. 
  I would drag the boat to a dealer and have someone put some eyes on it rather than sending photos. 

This was my next route to call my dealer up again and ask if he had any suggested dealership that would be willing to put eyes on it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and positive feedback!

I know this might be a stupid *** question but was the dealership under a bunch of oak trees? The reason I ask this is when I bought my 18 redfisher, I also had a few areas on the deck that were consistent with yours but they were detailed before I drove off with it. My deck never gets “ waxed” but the dealership had numerous oak trees around it. Being a nonskid deck, it’s a pain to get to it. Knowing close to what you paid for it, you shouldn’t have a single stain on it!

12 hours ago, DavidG said:

I know this might be a stupid *** question but was the dealership under a bunch of oak trees? The reason I ask this is when I bought my 18 redfisher, I also had a few areas on the deck that were consistent with yours but they were detailed before I drove off with it. My deck never gets “ waxed” but the dealership had numerous oak trees around it. Being a nonskid deck, it’s a pain to get to it. Knowing close to what you paid for it, you shouldn’t have a single stain on it!

No not a stupid question at all but no the dealership was out in the open.  And as one poster alluded to the fact it was on the lot for about a year you are quite right the fact of the matter it's still a new boat and although I did get a good deal it still should have been pretty clean.  I will likely look for a dealership close by who would be willing to simply take a look at it since it's very difficult to get an idea based on the pictures I submitted.  Worst case scenario and given what I paid for the boat it's certainly something I can live with.  My sole purpose in the post was to see if I could have someone help me figure out what it was since nothing I've tried cleaning it with works including Triplec's suggestion of Star Brite Hull Cleaner although this product works well on everything else.

My boat is much older, however...sometimes the grandkids get sunscreen on he hatches or inside the gunnels and the next day it’s yellowish colored and also oak leaves will leave a tannic acid stain on gelcoat. I’ve used every hull cleaner out there and they will all work, but...the best has been Clorox Bleach Gel.....I can apply it with a small paint brush or rag ...let it sit in direct sunlight for about 30 minutes before rinsing it off....and it will completely remove sunscreen or tannic stains. You then have to re- wax that area or use Woody Wax. 

This also works for fish blood and guts stains that get on floor.   JJ