Who has a Sea Claw anchor? Recommendations?

geeviam

Merry Christmas everyone!  I need an anchor for a flats boat (approx 1800 to 2000 LBS with a full load & 2 guys), being used mostly in mud and sand, with oysters (Lowcountry in SC).  Any Sea Claw owners out there with a recommendation?  I'm thinking maybe a 12 LB Sea Claw?  Not sure which cross bar length would be best - 14" or 18"?  This is more of a safety backup in case the PowerPole or SpotLock can't hold the boat in position.  Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

I spoke to Capt Kevin recently as well, regarding which size for my MA 18. Very friendly. He recommended the 12lb version. I am planning to use maybe 2 feet of chain for rope abrasion resistance and was hoping an 8lb would work. Curious to hear anyone else’s feedback on what is needed to hold a 2000-ish pound vessel in current, in mud and sand. Also, can the typical bow anchor locker hanger support 15lbs without stress issues on the fiberglass? Thanks!

• Thanks 1

the smaller sea claw will do for a flats style boat.  The cross bar will depend on how you are storing it .If you are laying  it in a compartment get the shorter bar.

If it is hanging in an anchor  locker get the longer bar.

The need for chain will depend on how deep and the length of your anchor line but it is more forgiving in regards to chain.

If you are fishing Charleston jetties  nearshore reefs or rocks it is advisable to use a short chain and rig with zip ties in a breakaway fashion.

• Thanks 1