Scalloping and fishing

Guest DavidG

Guys and Gals,

I need some info on where the best area is for scalloping as well as gulf fishing might be. I’ve fished all my adult life in North Florida and plan on heading to the Gulf side for scalloping season. Any info would be appreciated. I’ll be in my 18 Redfisher but experienced in most seas. Appreciate all info as reservations need to be made. Thank you. David

not sure 'best' area.. but IF it's a good year, either Homosassa or Crystal River generally most popular areas.  With manatee zones expect 30 minutes out to Gulf and scollop grounds. Consider VRBO near Mason Creek, no manatee zones.  All the areas have tide and 'fishy' places.  Stay in the marked channels or go really slow - oyster bar rash and in worst case lower units - seriously it can go from 6 ft to 6" in a boats length.   PowerPole/Talon are really useful when scolloping.  "best area"..  you will see the fleet.  Depends - if lots of spring rain the freshwater keeps them deep (6-12') and for us that's no fun.  Pretty much we like to go slow in 3-5 ft (KNOW the tide!)..and watch the bottom and for swimmers.  See a few, stop and jump out.  Can anchor, but often tie a line to boat and drift.   It gets hot, so consider umbrella or bimini (only time on my Redfisher I ever use - wife insisted).  Storms can come up quickly.  You are maybe 3 miles offshore, but seriously in the Hewes, pay attention to the weather.    

In Crystal River the 'big' hotel is Plantation.  The sea wall ***!  Place is ok (no hotel in this area is 'good'), pool is fun, but their excuse for a seawall for overnight docking is a big downer.     In Homo there are two 'resorts' next to each other.  Docking is good, private ramp at one (and trailer storage).  Public ramp and parking often a nightmare.   

I second Steinhatchee.  I go a few times a year.  Great scallop grounds, shallow and pretty easy.  Also a bit less congested than Crystal River and Homasassa. 

A very good friend of mine is a Sea Hag Marina Guide.  His name is Leslie Hernandez.  Give him a shout.  He can give you tips on anything Steinhatchee.    

http://seahag.com/captain-leslie-hernandez/

• Like 1

I have always scalloped in the Keaton Beach-Steinhatchee area, which both usually are very productive for scallops. The fishing this time of year is usually not very good for inshore with the large number of boaters, lots of floating grass and high water temps. If you plan a trip it is best you book early. All the small town destinations get booked up quickly. Expect crowds!! 

We used to have a fish camp on the Steinhatchee River and grew up fishing and scalloping down there.  Good thing about Stein is easy access in and out of the river and not a lot of rocks or other hazards.  Fishing is slow during the middle of summer as stated but shouldn’t have any trouble finding scallops.  May want to try St Joe Bay near Mexico Beach as well.  Good luck!